Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dips, The Motion that Defies My Routine

JohnRobHolmes

I have tried many times to add dips into my workouts. It always screws things up! For instance, my current split is as follows:

Push day (all 5x5)
Squat
Bench
OHP
ancillary
abs

Pull day
(all 5x5)
Pullup
Deadlift
Row
ancilarry (rarely)
abs

Off day
Off day

If I were to add dips to one day, it would cause conflict in one area or another. Dips on Push day would have my lats weak for Pull day. Dips on Pull day would have my Tri's beat and overworked from the day before.

Now consider an intermediate Madcow tweaked 5x5

Monday
Squat
Bench
Row

Wed
Squat
OHP
DL

Friday
Squat
Bench
Row

Where could it even fit in with all the pressing already in this routine? I wouldnt want to get rid of OHP or DL, and benching without rowing is asking for an imbalance. Adding it on top of any day just seems like a waste, because I know I will be beat from the workout and it would most certainly be a last motion.

Is there some secret that I have missed? Is my best bet to pay the guy who incessantly curls in my power rack for his unbeatable 5 day split? Will I have to break down and buy some oly rings for my living room? Why does this one movement dumbfound enough to make me rave about it? :xeye:

JRH

JohnRobHolmes said:
I have tried many times to add dips into my workouts. It always screws things up! For instance, my current split is as follows:

Push day (all 5x5)
Squat
Bench
OHP
ancillary
abs

Pull day
(all 5x5)
Pullup
Deadlift
Row
ancilarry (rarely)
abs

Off day
Off day

If I were to add dips to one day, it would cause conflict in one area or another. Dips on Push day would have my lats weak for Pull day. Dips on Pull day would have my Tri's beat and overworked from the day before.

Now consider an intermediate Madcow tweaked 5x5

Monday
Squat
Bench
Row

Wed
Squat
OHP
DL

Friday
Squat
Bench
Row

Where could it even fit in with all the pressing already in this routine? I wouldnt want to get rid of OHP or DL, and benching without rowing is asking for an imbalance. Adding it on top of any day just seems like a waste, because I know I will be beat from the workout and it would most certainly be a last motion.

Is there some secret that I have missed? Is my best bet to pay the guy who incessantly curls in my power rack for his unbeatable 5 day split? Will I have to break down and buy some oly rings for my living room? Why does this one movement dumbfound enough to make me rave about it? :xeye:

JRH

As far as the intermediate 5x5 on madcow's site, he has weighted dips listed for day 4.

Ahh! Missed that in the fine print at the bottom! Its been a while since I read it fully. I got lost in the training primer and archives last time I went there. Solves part of my issue right there! Thanks!

makes sense to add it in on the Friday of the madcow routine. That way you have plenty of time to recover.

JohnRobHolmes said:
Ahh! Missed that in the fine print at the bottom! Its been a while since I read it fully. I got lost in the training primer and archives last time I went there. Solves part of my issue right there! Thanks!

makes sense to add it in on the Friday of the madcow routine. That way you have plenty of time to recover.

Yes sir, GL. I'm starting up my second run on the intermediate 5x5 right now, i loved the first time.

Top Bottom