Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dip question.....

callthedoctor

I typically do dips on the sit-down machine....

I go kinda heavy (220-240lbs(I weigh 250)) and it feels like my elbows are in....but the primary stress feels like it's on the front delts and slightly on the chest...hardly anything on the tris...

Am I doing them wrong....

We (the club and I) also have that funky dip/lat pull machine with the counter-weight...I thought about trying that beast out...good or bad?

I don't use the regular dip bar because of my weight...I could probably do a few reps, but it would be quite a strain on the shoulders....and I think I may have messed one up a year or so ago trying....need to work up to that.

What is the proper position of the elbows on dips....

What about the lean...lean forward or straight up/down.

Thanks.

callthedoctor said:
I typically do dips on the sit-down machine....

I go kinda heavy (220-240lbs(I weigh 250)) and it feels like my elbows are in....but the primary stress feels like it's on the front delts and slightly on the chest...hardly anything on the tris...

Am I doing them wrong....

We (the club and I) also have that funky dip/lat pull machine with the counter-weight...I thought about trying that beast out...good or bad?

I don't use the regular dip bar because of my weight...I could probably do a few reps, but it would be quite a strain on the shoulders....and I think I may have messed one up a year or so ago trying....need to work up to that.

What is the proper position of the elbows on dips....

What about the lean...lean forward or straight up/down.

Thanks.

I'd recommend going back to the regular dip bar and really focus on getting good repetitions out at BW. I used to do a ton of dips for AROTC so I hope I know what I'm talking about somewhat...I would say really work on forcing those elbows inwards (almost aiming at the lumbar region of your back). Your front delt/outer chest is probably feeling it more than your dips because your arms are probably bowed out more than they should. Also, stop as soon as your elbows lock at 90 deg. and contract your tris before going back up. As for the lean, for me it almost seems that my body tends to rock forward anyways...I'd try leaning forward if I were you. My tp weighs bout 260 and can do dips picture perfect so I know its possible without hurting yourself :) .

hope that helps
rock on,
CN

Top Bottom