Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Did the Bill Starr routine for 10 weeks..looking to change

~Troy~

The bill starr 5x5 intermiadiate program has been working great for me but im looking for a routine geared more towards bodybuilding. Here is a routine i found on another website, just wanted to see what you guys thought of it.

****Arms/Shoulders****
Standing Overhead Press- 3 sets x 8 reps
Smith Press - 1 x 8 , 1 x 6, 1 x 4
Dips - 3 sets of 8 reps
Overhead Extensions - 1 x 12, 1 x 10
BB curl - 1 x 14, 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8

**** Legs ****
Squats- 4 sets of 6 reps
Box Squats - 1 x 8, 1 x 6, 1 x 4
Front Squats- 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8

**** Back/Traps****
Deads (every other week) 4 x 2
BB row- 4 sets of 6 reps
Pull-ups- 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8
Open end Pulldowns |----| <-- bar that looks like that..- 1 x 12, 1 x 10
Hyperextensions- 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8
Power Shrugs - 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6 (Not done on weeks of deads)

**** Chest/Abs****
15 degree bench- 3 sets of 6 reps
flat bench- 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6
35 degree bench- 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6
DB Flies- 1 x 15, 1 x 12
Ab Ball Catch - 1 x 40, 1 x 30, 1 x 25, 1 x 20
Declined Weighted sit-ups- 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8

Calf Raises 2 x a week before bed
3 sets of 8

ok....

wanna contribute something and tell me and the others reading this what can be done to make it better? lol

the 5x5 routine worked well in improving my strength. Diet has been good and since january 1st ive gained a good amount of weight ( about 6 lbs of lean mass)

My goal is to be a bodybuilder with a good amount of power.

Im not ready to make my own routines because in the past i have done that and totally overtrained..

Well I guess my comments weren't too instructive. LoL You just asked what we thought so I told you.

How long did you last on the 5x5? Number of weeks? I ask b/c going through that PROCESS should've helped you understand how to build a program now. Here's some comments from Glenn Pendlay that I found helpful:

Glenn P. said:
if this style of training (5x5) has been successful for you, why change it? and by style of training, im not talking about one specific program, but the general style of doing whole body exercises, training the whole body or at least most of the body in each workout, and doing multiple sets not taken to failure.

i do, however, understand the mental side... you do the same thing over and over and you want something different. there are lots of ways you can change things without totally changing to a "new" program. switching back and forth between widely differing types of training isnt that good of an idea... small and systematic changes over time in what you are doing however IS a good idea.

for instance... say youve been squatting 3 times a week. how about changing one of the workouts to front squat, hell you could change 2 of the workouts to front squat. i hate leg presses, but if you really wanted to, you could squat on monday, front squat on wednesday, and leg press on friday!!! if youve been doing only rows for back, change one or two of the workouts to chinups... substitute stiff legged deadlifts for deadlifts, change mondays workout to 3 sets of 8 for a month, change fridays squat or bench workout to 5 singles, etc, etc, etc.

So, I'd just suggest that you not jump radically from one program to another. But there's a million and one ways to do things so I'm not criticizing your move.

ive been running the 5x5 for 10 weeks with good results. Something i notice though is my shoulders have lost muscle mass and my lats have lost some mass also..

Not good for bodybuilding..

And im worried about adding volume to my shoulders because im worried about overtraining

same goes for adding isolated lat movements..

Overtraining is something i have done repeatedly in the past

~Troy~ said:
The bill starr 5x5 intermiadiate program has been working great for me but im looking for a routine geared more towards bodybuilding. Here is a routine i found on another website, just wanted to see what you guys thought of it.

****Arms/Shoulders****
Standing Overhead Press- 3 sets x 8 reps
Smith Press - 1 x 8 , 1 x 6, 1 x 4
Dips - 3 sets of 8 reps
Overhead Extensions - 1 x 12, 1 x 10
BB curl - 1 x 14, 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8

**** Legs ****
Squats- 4 sets of 6 reps
Box Squats - 1 x 8, 1 x 6, 1 x 4
Front Squats- 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8

**** Back/Traps****
Deads (every other week) 4 x 2
BB row- 4 sets of 6 reps
Pull-ups- 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8
Open end Pulldowns |----| <-- bar that looks like that..- 1 x 12, 1 x 10
Hyperextensions- 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8
Power Shrugs - 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6 (Not done on weeks of deads)

**** Chest/Abs****
15 degree bench- 3 sets of 6 reps
flat bench- 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6
35 degree bench- 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6
DB Flies- 1 x 15, 1 x 12
Ab Ball Catch - 1 x 40, 1 x 30, 1 x 25, 1 x 20
Declined Weighted sit-ups- 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8

Calf Raises 2 x a week before bed
3 sets of 8

Let me answer your question by posing two questions:

First, a routine is a routine, and they're all about 97% identical. The real question is: what are you going to do in Week 2? In other words, the mojo in the 5x5 isn't the set/rep scheme, or even the exercises themselves -- it's the planned progression from week to week resulting in a peak in volume, followed by a second buildup to a peak in intensity. Can you improve based on the routine above? It looks like typical unfocused bodybuilder junk to me, but sure, you can improve on it -- but only if you know what to do after Week 1.

Second, if 5x5 is working great for you, why do you want to change? I understand from your later post that your shoulders and lats have lost some mass. So, why not just take the 5x5 template, back off the benching a little bit, and add in a few sets of whatever-you-do-for-delts-and-lats at the end of one or two workouts?

mpc

"Think of Tiger Woods out there hitting a bucket of balls. He's not swinging the 5-iron to get stronger -- he's swinging it to hone the groove. Hone the groove."

I don't know too much about all of this but, if you said that the routine did a good job of increasing your strength, maybe you should run it again with different exercises. Like, say you did barbell rows and incline bench press on your first run. If you feel like your traps/shoulders need work then do another run with power cleans and military press/push press instead. Instead of doing dips on Friday, drop them and add in weighted pull-ups on Wednesday. From what I've read (And from Glenn Pendlay's quote in protobuilder's post) you should stick with what works and make little changes as you see certain parts lacking.

Top Bottom