Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Designing a training routine for the Strongman/Strength Athlete

im sure some people are interested in the training aspect of strongman competitions and the like so i began to ponder....What would a routine be like for an athlete of these events if they are unable to locate the equipment specific for the events....

all opinions appreciated as im sure they will all be well thought out :)

--nudges clint---

i would also like to know what kind of equipment to use. Like what can be used to simulate the stone, can i use a couple buckets of cement for farmer walks ect ect.......

---also nudges clint---

naturally anabolic said:
im sure some people are interested in the training aspect of strongman competitions and the like so i began to ponder....What would a routine be like for an athlete of these events if they are unable to locate the equipment specific for the events....

all opinions appreciated as im sure they will all be well thought out :)

--nudges clint---

The main thing to do is continue to bring up your base strength. It is important to strengthen your overhead press (standing) as well as your squat and deadlift. Every workout should be based up on strengthening these parts of the body.

As far as implements, you can use EZ curl bars for farmers walks, thick bars are easily made, etc... It is always easy to push your car/truck around the block for a leg workout or for cardio... You can carry odd objects, sand bags, kegs, tree stumps, etc...etc...etc... to work on your total body strength also.

I set my program up like this:

Sunday: ME lower and events
Monday: ME upper
Wednesday: DE lower
Thursday: DE upper

Does this make any sense to anyone? lol

B True

Training the events,without any event equipment...
There is nothing that can really replace an event,but there are alot of simple,and sometimes cheep or free ways to help simulate an event.
Farmers walk-In my opinion,the farmers walk is the easiest to simulate without the actual implements(oxygen cylinders,plate loaded farmers etc...) Anymore in a competition the farmers walk seems to be more of a foot race for alot of guys(as with alot of events now)than a real test of grip strength so you need to work on walking with weight.
Dumbell farmers walk will help alot with this....grab a pair of heavy db's and walk as far as you can with them,and practice turning at a certain distance also,as teh turns are very hard with the implements.This will work your grip,and the walking portion,but because db's are harder to hold on to,you probably wont be able to hold as heavy of weight as used with the implements,so try using straps with the heaviest db's that you can pick up...this will condition your traps,upper back and trunk,along with everything needed to keep you stable while walking with a heavier weight.
Other excercises that I like to help with this and other grip events in strongman are-weighted 1 arm hangs,dumbell holds for time,and holding a bar in the rack for time(3 heavy sets of 15 seconds seem to work well for me on these)

Atlas stones,and stone carry-Field stones,river stones...whatever is big and heavy.At one point I had around 10 different kinds of natural stones to try to help with these events.Smooth stones,rough stones,rounded stones,long and skinny stones. You can also try puting one 45 on one end of a bar,and 2 to however many you can do)on the other...try to pick the heavier side up up as if you were trying to break an atlas stone off of the ground.

Crucifix-hold a db in each hand for time.

Deadlift hold-Load a bar up to a HEAVY weight in the rack and hold it for as long as possible.You can use straps on this!!In this event you have to learn to breath right,how to position your body right,and how to go to"a special place"because this is as much of a mental event as it is physical.Supporting the heavy weights used will(in my opinion)be a bigger concern than your grip in this event(IF they allow straps in the particular contest...most do).

Conans wheel-This is alot like the deadlift hold..you will be taxed just as much mentally as physically.Load a bar with a heavy weight in the rack...pick it up in the are where your arm bends,and hold it for time.Unfortunately this doesnt simulate the walking portion,but it should help you to see how heavy weights will feel inthat position.Also..use a thick bar on these if you have one!!!!Most conans wheels use a 3-4"bar,which is harder to hold.A regular bar hurts alot on these when you are using heavier weights,which could be dangerous

Pushing a vehicle back and forth in a big parking lot can get your legs and cardio strength and endurance built up for events like a sled drag and vehicle push or pull.If you have a hitch and a long rope(50-100')you can practice the arm over arm pull by attatching the rop to the hitch ...sit on the ground with something in front of your feet to keep you from dragging yourself instead of the vehicle,and pull on the rope as if you are doing endless reps of 1 arm rows with soem back and leg involvement.

Tire Flip-Go to a local construction buisness,tractor dealer,junk yard etc and see if they are willing to give away one of their larger tires for free or a small fee.You may want to get a 2-3(or 4..)different sizes.

You can also combine alot of these events to create a medley.The possibilities are endless.Examples-flip the tire for a set distance,then push a vehicle a set distance...or carry 1-3 stones maybe 50',then push a vehicle(back against the vehicle)for a set distance.Have"fun"with this

Top Bottom