Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Designing a Program

puds

Hi, im new to the board here and fairly new to working out. I've been working out consistently for about 2 months now and i have seen some gain. However, i really want to get more scientific about my workouts. I'm interested in gaining both strength and size. Right now I'm 18 years old 6' and about 150 pounds. I've been looking into setting up a 5 x 5 program but would need some more info. Generally I work out 4x a week and probably want to keep that number the same.

I have a good diet considering I'm living in residence. Average day looks something like this;
breakfast:
2 bowls of poridge
1 3 egg omlette w/ cheese, tomatoes and mushrooms

pre workout-
skim milk mixed with scoop of weight

lunch-
whole wheat turkey sandwhich
2 filets of salmon
rice
random vegetables

dinner-
healthiest meal they offer

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

The first thing I will say is that you'll need to eat more frequently and abundantly.

As per your training, I'd recommend a routine other than 5x5. The volume is unnecessarily high and, while it has worked for people, there are better ways to go about training.

If you've been training for more than three months, and you already have good form on the core exercises (squat, deadlift, good morning, bench press [lower to upper abs so as not to screw the rotator cuffs]) then I'd recommend you begin training WSB style.

Since you're new, though, almost anything to work. I don't mean to knock the 5x5 routine, so give that a try if it really sparks your interest. For size entirely, I'd check out HST. One thing I've noticed, though, is that HST seems better suited for those who have a large degree of strength under their belt. As a beginner, you should try to build some basic strength. Size will come with it regardless, seeing as you are new.

You may also want to take a look at the BFS program. Here's a more recent link to the program than the one provided in our Training Methods sticky at the top of this forum:
http://www.niles-hs.k12.il.us/northsports/foot/bfs.htm

Good luck. If you have any other questions, ask away. All are always ready to help on these boards.

k sounds good, i made that post partway through the day and i had 2 sandwiches later that night. Sometimes it difficult to find healthy food with protein while living in residence. Currently my program looks something like this.
monday: chest triceps and abs
bench 3x 6-8 105 lbs
incline bench 3x 6-8 95 lbs
flys 3x 6-8 30 lb db
dips 3x 3 sets to failure
skull crushers (not sure if right name, hold i hold the barbell over my head and lower it to my forhead and raise it until elbows are perpendicular) 3x 6-8 40 lbs
tricep pushdown 3x 6-8 90 lbs
tuck extensions
decline sits w/ 6 kg medicine ball

wensday: shoulders and biceps
preacher curl 3x 6-8 50 lbs
hammer curls 3x 6-8 30 lb db
cable curls 3x 5-8 80 lbs
shrugs 3x 6-8 45 lb dumbells
standing military press 3x 6-8 30 lb dumbbells
lat raises 3x 5-6 20 lb dumbell

friday: back and abs
dead lift /dead lift with clean (not sure what its called) 3x 5 70kg + bar / 30kg + bar
wide grip chin ups: 3x5
seated row: 3x6-8 100 lbs
lat pull down 3x6-8 100 lbs
leg raises: 3x to failure
hanging tucks

sunday: legs
squat 3x6-8 185 lbs
lunges w/ dumbells in hands 3x 6-8 25 lb dumbells
calf raise machine: 3x6-8 220lbs
leg press 3x6-8 270 lbs
hamstring curls(might not be the right name but its a machine and it looks like a bicep curl) 3x6-8 90lbs

I was also wondering how deep to go on the squats i usually go to 90 degrees i have trouble going any further as im infexible.

puds said:
I was also wondering how deep to go on the squats i usually go to 90 degrees i have trouble going any further as im infexible.

the reason you cant go down further is because youre doing too much weight. start at low around 105 or 135 until you get used to going down lower. then if youre going to be doing the 5x5 add 5 pounds every week.

It's not because he's doing too much weight. Where the hell is the logic in that? The weight is too heavy for him, so he's magically able to defy gravity? :rolleyes: God.

Puds, if you're inflexible as you say, make sure to warmup and stretch for 10 minutes prior to training. To reduce soreness, stretch post-workout as well.

A power clean is an explosive olympic lift. I don't feel like describing the entire movement, so just do a search. www.google.com type in "Power Clean". Bam.

if you are having trouble getting low on your squats, you should start doing box squats. they will help your form out, and get you used to getting low. as far as making gains, dont get too "scientific about it." the thing i notice is that you are not eating enough. you are 6' tall, and you only weigh 150lbs. you need to eat, eat, eat.
also, what do you mean by "living in residence?"

the strength of my chest hasn't gone up that much in comparison to other parts, any suggestions?

puds said:
living in residence= living on campus, so i eat cafeteria food all the time

man, you should be able to take advantage of that shit and eat a shit load of food, and be able to do it for cheap.

Top Bottom