Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Denim bench shirt problem

brianmincher

I have a question for PowerlifterJay, Flapwrlifter, or anyone else with expertise on denim.

I just got a letter from Gus Rethwisch, founder of the WABDL, who has just this year decided to change the rules to disallow open back shirts. Well as luck would have it, I have about 300 dollars worth of shirts that I can't use now, and worse than that, I have to get another shirt or two.

My question is what to do now? I was thinking of getting an Inzer double denim (which is what I have now) with the radical cut, and a solid back. Having never worn a full back denim, I am wondering what to tell Inzer as far as measurements go. With the open back shirts, I have one just a bit bigger for openers, then a tighter one for second attempts, then to get a little more support at the bottom, I pull the neck down in the front for maximum attempts. I figure that you probably can't do that with a full back shirt (I never could with my poly), and was wondering if I should send in my measurements a little bit small?

I am about a 475 bencher right now, and intend to attempt 500 on my 3rd attempt at my meet on March 16th. I really appreciate your help.

Brian Mincher

About the only other thing I have seen around federation wise, is NASA which is even more restrictive on equipment.

I would like to find some APA/IPA meets within driving distance of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

As to the modification idea on the shirts, I will know next week if WABDL will let me sew some material into the back of the shirt, because the shirts are not big enough, or I am too big, depending upon how you look at it, to sew the shirt back together. If they do allow that then I am planning on putting a big band of black elastic in the back so I can still pull the shirt low. I am afraid that they will not go for it and I am going to be stuck getting another shirt.

Thanks for the encouragement on the 500. I should be able to do it. Training has gone well, and my assistance work and max effort exercises are progressing nicely.

Thanks for the help guys.

Hey man after you hit 500 make sure you pound 510 hehe. Na hope you get it. I don't know jack about shirts sorry man can't help ya on that one.

If your saying no on the cut out backs like wear the neck is cut or are you referring to velcro on the back period. If you have to leave the neck in tack but casn still have velcro let me know and i will tellya what to size. If you have to have a denim pullover i have no idea never had one. I will tell ya you can get a good tight shirt and still have the neck on it and get a lot ou tof it. If you have to get a pull over just compete somewhere else.

what was there reason for changing?........... sponsers giving them heck?

X

Before I get into the shirt thing, last night after my speed bench, I decided to take one last heavy (for me) bench of the year. I smoked 465, 15 lbs more than my previous best and it went up pretty easy, and with really good speed. Enough about that, on to the topic at hand.

I don't know the reason for the change. The head WAABDL guy in Oklahoma, who is also the world record holder in the bench at 220 and 242 thinks it is stupid not to allow open back shirts and I agree. I am supposed to find out in a couple of days if they are going to allow them for all but world records, or what the deal is.

They are still allowing open velcro shirts but they just won't let you cut the neck, and the velcro has to be cinched up. I was wondering if you couldn't just order an extra big neck from Inzer?

Powerlifterjay, any thoughts on how to order it size wise. My current measurements are 5 foot 7 inches tall, 16 inch arms relaxed, 46 inch chest relaxed, shoulders 51 relaxed. These measurements were snug but not with the tape cutting into my skin. I was thinking of pulling the tape about as tight as I can and send in those new measurements along with a request that they put in an extra big neck.

One thing to mention, right now I am about 220 lbs, and I plan on competing in the 242 class, so I intend to gain some weight between now and the meet, maybe 10 to 15 lbs.

Any thoughts?
Thanks for the help.

B

MAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS VERY SMALL!! And order well in advance before your meet....enough time to send it back and get it fixed if it doesn't fit. I ordered a double ply denim pullover and had it sent directly to the hotel I was staying at for my meet because I wasn't sure if I'd get it at home in time. Anyway, it was way too big for me. What a waste. I had to use my HPHD blast shirt. I gave inzer my measurements and even went a bit small when I ordered. Be carefull!

I would say to start i would Sub tract 2 inches from shoulders. 3 inches from chest. And 1/2 off arms. All of them relaxed. But you can always make your shirt ssmaller so if that small scares you subtract less. then send it in if you want. You cant make em bigger. I subtract 3 to 4 from shoulders 5 to 6 from chest and leave arms the same. But dont try that to start. I would hate to be responsible for another person not liking their shirt, caus eof my advice. Be cautious.

Top Bottom