Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deads: How much is too much?

My Tuesday routine looks like this:

Military Press x 5
Front Arm Raises x 2
Deads x 5
Chins x 2
Side Arm Raises x 2
Bent over rows x 2

but the deads are killing me. by the time in in the 3rd set, i'm spent. i'm going for strength primarily... is 5 sets too much?

i do 5 reps @ 185 lbs., 4 @ 195, 3 @ 205, 4 @ 195, and 5 @ 185 again.

is this too much, or can i drop it to 2 sets (1 set of 5, 1 set of 3-4 reps).

input is appreciated.

If you go intensely on deads...you souldn't have a lot of back left to do alot more back work.

When I trained for size...I did deads last in my routine...after chins and rows.

B True

As a side note...... you are doing 5 sets of military presses. That in itself is sufficient for shoulder work. IMHO....I don`t think you need to do the 4 sets of lateral raises not to mention your shoulders are getting hit again when you do chest work. I would humbly recommend losing the laterals (front & side) and focus the extra time and energy on your 5 sets of deads. Also.... you didn`t mention what you do prior to your dead workout. Perhaps your lower back is giving out cuz it is not yet recuped from previous workout (squats or whatever). If all else fails....cut back to 3 working sets on deads. 3 working sets of hard, take no prisoners deads is nothing to sneeze at.

Pump on .....

dave hit it on the head - if your focusing on strength lose the side and front raises. it will help you focus more on the compound movements.

I disagree. I think side raises are essential for full shoulder development, being that military press primarily hits the front deltoid. I would lose the front raises, but I would keep the side raises.

As for your deads, like others suggested, move it to the end of your workout

at his level (assuming the other lifts are in line with a 185x5 deadlift) theres zero point doing laterals.

I'd do the chins before the deads and do knee supported db rows afterwards.. it's too risky to barbell row with a massively fatigued lower back unless you use textbook form (and who does with that lift?)

at his level (assuming the other lifts are in line with a 185x5 deadlift) theres zero point doing laterals

agreed

I'd drop the front raises as it will be hit from military presses, but keep the laterals (and only at 2 sets...no need to do a lot of sets for this exercise).

I'd only do 3 sets of deads. There is no way you can go intensely and still maintain 5 sets of deads. If you're looking for brute strength I'd keep deads first as that is the heaviest compound movement for back.

Thanks to all for the replies. Karma all around :)

Seems as if everybody here agrees that the front raises sould be dropped, and the deads should be dropped to 3 hard sets. That's what I'll do then. I think I'll keep them at the beginning of my workout, so I can get the maximum benefit from them.

Suggestion on sets? 185x5, 205x3, 225x1? 185x5, 195x4, 205x3? 185x5, 205x3, 185x5?

Top Bottom