Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deadlifts vs Stiff Legged Deadlifts

Mindwraith

Whats the difference? Anybody have a picture of the two? One does back and the other does back and hams?

I did the SL DL's yesterday for the first time, not even sure I was doing them right, I felt it more in my back than I did in my hams.

Mindwraith said:
Whats the difference? Anybody have a picture of the two? One does back and the other does back and hams?
Have a look at these sites, all of which should have some pics:

Ball State University Strength Laboratory

ABC Bodybuilding Exercise Directory

ExRx Exercise and Muscle Directory

URB Exercise Index

I did the SL DL's yesterday for the first time, not even sure I was doing them right, I felt it more in my back than I did in my hams.
Did you round your back or maintain an arch? Were your knees locked or bent a little? How close to your body was the bar? No way we can really help if we dont know about your form.

I would be careful how much weight you lift until you what your doing.. Deads are a good way to fuck yourself up if you aren't using proper form.

Mindwraith said:

If you felt it mostly in your back then chances are your back is a weak link. Once your back strength improves so you can move enough weight for you to feel it in the glutes you will see how great of an exercise it is.

Back is definately a weak link I bet. I think I was rounding my back instead of arching it, not sure how well I can arch it when bent over. I had my legs straight the whole time. I held the bar at my waste and bent down and then back up. I did it almost like those links showed I dont see any differences that can be seen with pictures like these.

Mindwraith said:
Back is definately a weak link I bet. I think I was rounding my back instead of arching it, not sure how well I can arch it when bent over. I had my legs straight the whole time. I held the bar at my waste and bent down and then back up. I did it almost like those links showed I dont see any differences that can be seen with pictures like these.
A lot of keeping back arched while bending over has to do with proper breathing as well as flexability. The felxibility will come, im rather stiff myself but used to easy set the bar on top of my feet. FOr now just do a weight your back can handle and concentrate on keeping back at least flat, arched preferably. You will be surprised just how fast your back gets stronger to meet the demands.

Kill two birds with one stone

Since hammies-glute-erector spinae all part of the posterior chain, why not train Hamstrings and lower back on same day?

Here is a sample routine, combining needsize solid 5 * 5 with some German Volume style sets:

session 1:
5 * 5 deadlift (3-5 minutes rest)
3 * 10 STLDL (only 60 seconds rest)
3 * 10 reverse glute ham raise
3 * 10 leg curl
3 * 10 hyperextension with plate

session 2:
5 * 5 STLDL
2 * 20 heavy "breathing" deadlifts
3 * 10 reverse glute ham raise
3 * 10 leg curl
3 * 10 hyperextension with plate