Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deadlifts and Squats = Larger Waist? [HELP NEEDED]

One last thing, do deads and squats make your waist bigger because they add muscle to the lower back? That I don't mind, what I fear is that they make my actual waist wider, like love handles wider etc, that'll look ridiculous on my crappy physique.

yes, mostly lower back... and abs... it is almost comedic to think you believe squats and deads will give you love handles...

yes, they will thicken your MUSCULAR core... however, if training and dieting properly, your upper body should be growing even moreso, therefore making your waist look smaller...

Thanks for all the replies, but I think I want to take squats and deadlifts out of my workout (personal preference, I know it may be silly but it is my decision)

i know people who havent squatted or deadlifted but are still big. Anyway I'll come back in 2 years and prove you guys wrong that deadlifts and squats aren't completely necessary.

well stop wasting our time then...

the thing you are thinking will make your waist bigger is thicker abs. Deadlifts and squats involve the abs and so for a contest ready bodybuilder at 3% bodyfat thicker abs can have an effect on the size of their midsection.

For everyone else getting thicker abs just means you will get abs showing through more easily. Think about it, if your abs are skinny as hell then you will have to get really lean to uncover them. But if yuo have big thick strong abs then they may even show through at bodyfat as high as 15%.

So if your saying your not doing squats or deads because you dont want your abs to get thicker, you should stay away from any ab work too like situps. Obviously this is rediculous but its going by your logic, not mine.

Oh and most people say front squats hit the abs even harder than back squats, so saying your doing them instead of squats and deads is just retarded since if anything they will have more of an effect on the strength/size of your abs.

lol your logic is laughable but if it makes you happy then go ahead.

2pshx80.jpg

Ok I'll do front squats as I heard they require the hips and waist less and involve the quads more

The only thing thats going to make you have a bigger wasteline is getting a bigger ass.

Stop being a pansy and get in the gym and squat/deadlift. For someone who is 28% bodyfat you need to stop worrying about such a minor issue and focus on the MAJOR problem you have right now which is your weight.

the thing you are thinking will make your waist bigger is thicker abs. Deadlifts and squats involve the abs and so for a contest ready bodybuilder at 3% bodyfat thicker abs can have an effect on the size of their midsection.

For everyone else getting thicker abs just means you will get abs showing through more easily. Think about it, if your abs are skinny as hell then you will have to get really lean to uncover them. But if yuo have big thick strong abs then they may even show through at bodyfat as high as 15%.

So if your saying your not doing squats or deads because you dont want your abs to get thicker, you should stay away from any ab work too like situps. Obviously this is rediculous but its going by your logic, not mine.

Oh and most people say front squats hit the abs even harder than back squats, so saying your doing them instead of squats and deads is just retarded since if anything they will have more of an effect on the strength/size of your abs.

lol your logic is laughable but if it makes you happy then go ahead.

2pshx80.jpg

it's funny because i've found threads on this exact forum that contradict what you said, back squats use more hips and glutes especially below parallel, front squats until parallel kill your quads. Thats basically the summary of what 5+ threads on this forum has said.

yes, people feel different exersises in different places... that is because heavy compound exersises work EVERYTHING, and it is your weak points where you may end up feeling it more, or not at all if your other muscles are overpowering enough...
this is why some feel bicep strain and ab involvement in front squats, while others feel mostly quad involvement...
either way you are still a pussy if you are not doing everything you are capable of to your best ability...

there are thousands of olympic lifters who can squat 500+ pounds without a large wasteline. im sure their deadlift would be almost as impressive. stop overthinking and train your posterior chain.

it's funny because i've found threads on this exact forum that contradict what you said, back squats use more hips and glutes especially below parallel, front squats until parallel kill your quads. Thats basically the summary of what 5+ threads on this forum has said.

Yes but you are completely misunderstanding the terminology here. Back squats (well, low-bar back squats) are hip driven and this means they use a lot more of your posterior chain (hamstrings and glutes), whereas high-bar back squats and front squats are knee driven and use more of your quads. This distinction has absolutely nothing to do with your waist. The fact that low-bar back squatting uses your hips more is just a mechanics issue and means it will work your posterior chain more, it doesn't mean your hips will get bigger by doing it (not sure where you are getting that idea from).

ExtraMile, just as an aside, the OP isn't actually talking about thicker abs, he is talking about something called powerlifter's gut which is where your stomach actually gets bigger, underneath your abs (see the pic of KK I posted a few pages back). At least that's what I think he's talking about. Either way, his fears are ridiculously unfounded because IF it was to ever happen to anybody it would be a result of training for years and years lifting heavier weights than the OP will probably ever get close to, and probably taking GH as well.

Top Bottom