Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deadlifts and Squats = Larger Waist? [HELP NEEDED]

Deadlifts and Squats are two of the 3 main exercises you should be doing when trying to put on muscle mass. I don't think it contributes to a larger waist, minimal if any. These exercises work many muscle groups including benefits of overall calories burned during a workout. I like doing squats and deads for low and high reps

I'm still young anyway, I'll see how I get along without squatting and deads for 1-2 years, then I'll maybe add them.

My prediction: you'll stop lifting completely before 1 or 2 years...because you will get discouraged from lack of results. The lack of results will be because you don't want to work hard. I understand why you don't want to deadlift and squat, and in my opinion it has nothing to do with your waist size...its because they are very hard work...harder than what you are willing to do, it would seem.
Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just saying man the f... up and do the hard lifts.
I really do hope you change your mind about the squats and deadlifts though...it truly is a better way to go. Not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying (like many others here) to point you in the right direction...

I didn;t read the whole thread, but I'll say to the OP, deads and squats may add a little meat to your hips but nothing to worry about.

Actual strucural change from exercises is minimal -- just as pullovers strtch the ribcage and presses behind the back widen the shoulders. Some claim they're all fallacies. I tend to think there's some truth to it, but again, the effect on skeletal structure beyond actual muscle growth is very marginal.

I aslo don't think that cardio is the answer. More weightlifting and less eating crap is what you need.

My prediction: you'll stop lifting completely before 1 or 2 years...because you will get discouraged from lack of results. The lack of results will be because you don't want to work hard. I understand why you don't want to deadlift and squat, and in my opinion it has nothing to do with your waist size...its because they are very hard work...harder than what you are willing to do, it would seem.
Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just saying man the f... up and do the hard lifts.
I really do hope you change your mind about the squats and deadlifts though...it truly is a better way to go. Not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying (like many others here) to point you in the right direction...

lmao we'll see then.

ok here's what Im going to do

I'm going to cut down without deadlifts and squats, then clean bulk for say 5 months without them. Then cut down to around ~10% bodyfat. Then when I have a bit more muscle and I can clearly see what my waist is like without the 28% fat, I may start to deadlift and squat.

There isn't a written rule in bodybuilding, people have different bodies and people have to see what works for them :/

One last thing, do deads and squats make your waist bigger because they add muscle to the lower back? That I don't mind, what I fear is that they make my actual waist wider, like love handles wider etc, that'll look ridiculous on my crappy physique.

stfu and squat and deadlift bro! lol jk :p.... you can build good legs without the squat and deadlift but its like leaving out some of your best options. I know they would have no negative effect in the in the direction your thinking but ultimatley the choice is yours. If your trying to get in shape then at least your on the right track but really bro when have you ever seen buff love handles? lol. What everyone is trying to tell you is that squating and deadlift wont make you look fatter! They are key tools to building muscle mass. Muscle mass is key for cranking you metabolism and reducing your bodyfat which will get rid of the love handles not make them bigger! Your probably looking at weight lifters in the heavyweight class to get this impression? These guys often have some extra fat cause they dont need to cut to make weight and extra calories might mean more strength... sure there might be some fat with it but strength is their goal and they are not eating to be lean and trim at all! Now look at powerlifters from the lower weightclasses. These guys have to diet to make weight. They are lean strong ass shit n have trim waists. If they all have trim waists and can squat n dead 3 times their bodyweight id say it is safe to say it wont make you look fat and has everything to do with diet.

I read on another form and did some research, and it says that Deadlifts and Squats makes your waist bigger.

I'm an endomorph, so I got naturally big waist and hips and legs, I'm trying to lose some fat and try to slim it down a bit, but it's a bit disheartening when I hear Deadlifts and Squats actually make it worse.

Would Front Squats be a ok alternative to Back Squats so that the hips/waist are less involved? What about deads?

My body looks like this atm:

Y8oEE.png

Horrible I know, 28% bodyfat. I'm going to low my bodyfat and add a lot of muscle, but I'm worried it'll make my waist/hips much more larger if I do Squats and Deadlifts, which'll make me look worse :/

Any help?

If your diet is on point u should be losing weight so ur waist would get smaller not bigger, no? If ur over 20%bf I don't see squats doing anyone but helping imo. Great for your core, sounds to me like someone just wants to take the easy way out.

Last edited:
One last thing, do deads and squats make your waist bigger because they add muscle to the lower back? That I don't mind, what I fear is that they make my actual waist wider, like love handles wider etc, that'll look ridiculous on my crappy physique.

I just find this so absurd. You are talking about powerlifter's gut. It will not happen to people like you, it happens to people like this:

http://bogatyr.su/IMG_0133.jpg

Notice how he has very little body fat but his waist is still very big. This is from a combination of performing the movements of squatting and deadlifting (which pushes your gut forward and compresses your stomach) with MASSIVE amounts of weight for YEARS and eating shit loads of food and probably taking growth as well. This man can deadlift almost half a tonne.

And even he is a pretty rare example, I could give you plenty of pictures of heavyweight powerlifters who lift similar numbers but who have small waists when they are cut (Dave Tate, Matt Kroc, Dave Gulledge, etc.)

You worrying about issues like this is like a guy getting his driver's license and worrying about obtaining G-force inflicted injuries that F1 drivers get from driving his hatchback around town.

Top Bottom