Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deadlifts off platform

Sergeant

If I can crack the weight off the floor 99% of the time I will lock it out. My weakness is at the bottom and to address this I have been doing all my deadlifts off 3 to 4 inchs of rubber pads. My question is will this throw my mechanics off when I start deadlifting off the floor? I also do high pulls but instead of using 45lb plates I use 25lb to bring the bar closer to the floor making the lift harder. If it matters I deadlift sumo.

You will be fine. It is an awesome feeling when you have been pulling like that then switch to pulling from the floor -- the range of motion feels like nothing.

Sergeant

I think you're on the right track. When you pull off of the pads try to maintain your groove as closely as you can to a competion pull. Your mechanics should be just fine when you pull from the floor. The smaller plate size is also an excellent idea that is often overlooked by even experienced lifters (nice ROM increase). If you pull sumo then I recommend hitting your hamstrings, hips and glutes hard. These are the muscles that initiate the beginning of the pull (break the weight from the floor). Typically extra-wide stance movements such as box squats, good-mornings and pull-throughs will help with getting the weight moving. If you have no problems locking out then your lower and upper back are probably plenty strong at this point. Good luck!

- Screwball

Maybe

It may throw your mechanics off a little, but odds are the strength increase will more than compensate. You have built the raw strength where you need it, now what you need is technique work. I would probably reccomend keeping up with the pulls off a platform, but then throwing in some speed singles off the floor after them. Should be a good doable program.

Top Bottom