Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deadlifts

EMAN

I'm not a powerlifter but I occasionally do deadlifts. I think I do Sumo style (arms are between legs, legs are spread wide). Is this form OK and effective? I can't do the traditional form because I always feel a pull by my nuts.

don't give up on those deadlifts, they will help your overall growth as well as anything, and i agree, i would switch over and start doing conventional style

I started conventional, but now do nothing but sumo. Last meet I pulled 501 @242lbs. This was my second meet. I scrape my shins up too much with conventional.

Originally posted by Thudblast:
I started conventional, but now do nothing but sumo. Last meet I pulled 501 @242lbs. This was my second meet. I scrape my shins up too much with conventional.

Same here...stared coventional but now lift sumo. Have a meet coming up...plan to pull 585@198. Not impressive but its a start.

------------------
m.pstm.8106.e.jpg

"I'm having an old friend for dinner."

I do both but I can pick up more with sumo style because conv. puts me at a leverage disadv. by having longer legs. both seem so scrape my shins the same.

if you naturally have a strong butt and a lower back as strong as an oak...... the conventional all the way

you can get around with sumo if your not so blessed in the rear end if.... you have powerful quads and adductors.....

but i will agree with the others...... don't let the family jewels cause you to shy away from convetional...... i had the same problem...... mine was i was using too much weight..... you might want to try dropping down just a little.

hey, i guess it really doesnt matter as long as you can get it up

Most people find they can lift more with the sumo. When not concerned about maximum weight and using the deadlift for general training purposes I think the conventional is superior. Ease off on the weight if it bothers you and just do reps until you build strength in those weak links.

I agree with Madcow1. If you want maximum back stimulation then go conventional. If you want more back work than that, go conventional off of a platform.

For you powerlifters...don't convince yourself that your a sumo DL'r too soon. I've seen several lifters that were convinced they were sumo lifters go up 50 lbs+ by going conventional and sticking with it. I thought sumo was great because it's easier and more confortable at the bottom than conventional. Then I went back to the ball popping conventional and blew away the sumo max. I think you can grind out more wt. at the lockout conventional for the typical body type. Personally I think most people gravitate to sumo because it's more confortable, and I agree, but I want to lift more. So unless your very compact, stick with conv.

For reference, my sumo is 605+, but conv. is 650+. I always train both since they are complementary.

well i think that none of the two techniques are better. it´s so a question of physical disponibility. The taller will prefer the conventional way when others, with smaller body will strike better with sumo style. But in my own experience, i use to alternate the two techniques. I feel better using the traditional way, and that´s the way i usually choose during competition. But i know too that my tecnique is not perfect. And, as the weight goes on, i some time forget to concentrate all my energy in the quads in the very few seconds of the lift: the sumo style help me to strengthen and become more confident in this very moment. I usually scheduled this sumo routine during more technical and light sessions, when technical perfection should be emphasized.

Top Bottom