Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deadlifting and >STRAPS<

B

BeautifulBiceps

Ok, I need some opinions here. I found some straps in my gym today and learned how to use them, and guess what, it was deadlifting day, yay.
Ok so I did , 135x10, 225x6, 275x6, 355x6, I used double overhand for the first 3 lifts, the last I used the straps. Man they are sweet, I'm going to aim for 405x6 before 2007! Well I guess my question is...........
......(sorry my forearms are sore from the deads)...my question is, fuck grip right? If straps means more weight lifted go for it? I've done 355 for 6 just with chalk and alternate grip before, but then the next week I tried 365 and only got 3! Fuck I can't seem to just ask the fucking question. Maybe I do have downs... anyways, comment thanks.

BeautifulBiceps said:
Ok, I need some opinions here. I found some straps in my gym today and learned how to use them, and guess what, it was deadlifting day, yay.
Ok so I did , 135x10, 225x6, 275x6, 355x6, I used double overhand for the first 3 lifts, the last I used the straps. Man they are sweet, I'm going to aim for 405x6 before 2007! Well I guess my question is...........
......(sorry my forearms are sore from the deads)...my question is, fuck grip right? If straps means more weight lifted go for it? I've done 355 for 6 just with chalk and alternate grip before, but then the next week I tried 365 and only got 3! Fuck I can't seem to just ask the fucking question. Maybe I do have downs... anyways, comment thanks.

the real issue here, is why the hell are you trying to deadlift with a double over hand grip? use an alternating grip

nothing wrong with straps.. I deadlift, do rack pulls and barbell rows with straps.. Hell, I use straps with almost all my back exercises.. My forarms always get pumped and they arent small. Your grip always gives out first, so i would rather have assistance and get the extra reps that I wouldnt get if my grip gave out first...

Straps reinforce your grip, and you rely less on your hands and forearms, they are a necessity for dead lifts.

Don’t use straps if your are trying to strengthen your grip, or forearms,

But that is not the usual goal of dead lifts.

yeah bro, just focus something at the end for forearms....think--how the fuck are your forearms supposed to support the same amount of weight as your entire back? That will always be the first thing on me to give out...You're only as strong as your weakest link, so if you can mask that weak link, by all means do it!

on deads I only use straps over 300lbs, the lower weight sets I can easily grip.

Back days with the heavy BB rows and DB rows I have to use straps - at least on the heavier sets.

They have their place, but I try not to rely on them.

If you're gym allows it you should try using chalk. Chalk is the ultimate grip enhancer

Top Bottom