Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deadlift routine idea?

RusPA81

I have noticed that a lot of people have been recommending not to do deadlifts every week and I must agree it can be hard to do heavy deads every week especially if you do heavy squats as well. I am currently doing a variation of the 5x5 and I have come up with an idea and was wondering what you guys thought. I was thinking that I could deadlift for 3 weeks and then 4th week do rack pulls and continue cycling 3 weeks on , 1 week off. Do you guys think this makes any sense or should I just stick with the deads weekly?

I posted this as a reply to someone asking me how I used WSB and the box squat to increase my deadlift over the past 12 months.

------------------------------------------
Hey man...I have been varying my weights and band use on the box squats (speed, DE squat, WSB style).

My box is about 13.5-14" tall which is right at or slighly below parallel for me. My stance is also fairly wide (near or at 50" from widest point to widest point).

For a few contests I would run a Circa Max phase and I would use 275, 300, 310, 325 plus 250-400 pounds of band tension on the bar for 6 sets of 2 with 45 seconds of rest between sets. I do feel that it helped to make me VERY explosive but I found that it was just too rough on my joints while doing heavy and intense events.

For Boston I decided to do the following:
275/325 (3 sets of 2 each) with 45 sec rest between then 2 heavy singles
295/350 (3 sets of 2 each) with 45 sec rest between then 2 heavy singles
315/365 (3 sets of 2 each) with 45 sec rest between then 2 heavy singles

I would then rotate back down and start at week 1 again.

I used to use between 50-75% of my 1RM on Squats but I found that my body would recover more by using even less. Bob Youngs also suggested this to me a long time ago for Strongman (even though I didn't listen to him at the time). Right now I would like to think that I could do a raw squat with about 575-625 and do an 'equipped' squat with 650+. Right now I am using 258 and 315 on my box squats and taking some heavier weights after my 6 sets.

Week 1: 258/315 (3 sets of 2 each) with 45 sec rest between then 2 sets of 5 reps with 348
Week 2: 258/315 (3 sets of 2 each) with 45 sec rest between then 2 sets of 5 reps with 365

Week 3: 258/315 (3 sets of 2 each) with 45 sec rest between then 2 sets of 3 with 405
Week 4: 258/315 (3 sets of 2 each) with 45 sec rest between then 2 sets of 3 with 438

Week 5: 258/315 (3 sets of 2 each) with 45 sec rest between then 2 heavy singles (somewhere around 500-535)
Week 6: 258/315 (3 sets of 2 each) with 45 sec rest between then 2 heavy singles (somewhere around 525-565)

I do all of my squatting completely raw...but I have been pulling that way also.

Note that I also use the method of 'increase the deadlift by committee'. I use box squats, speed deads, pull throughs, glute ham raises, reverse hypers, good mornings, etc...to bring up my deads. I also hit my abs hard and heavy using full ROM exercises and most of them are straight legged (reps from 3-20).

I hope that this helped some...

---------------------------------------------

B True

I like to do both in the same week. I leave at least 72 hours between them, and I personally don't notice any overtraining. You might be different, though.

Top Bottom