Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cuff work...better as a starter or finisher?

mendo

I'm looking at incorporating some external rotation movements into my delt routine. I've never had a shoulder injury and don't want one...

Would it be better to do them as a warmup...then hit the big lifts? Or is it better to do them at the end of a shoulder workout? Is there any benefit to adding them to a delt workout specifically...how about doing them on chest day instead?

Thanks.

I've been through two shoulder surgeries, none on my cuff, and my physical therapist wanted me to do mine at the end. I have seen people do it both ways, but so far it seems to be working for me to do them at the end.

no, never do them at the start. i would never risk fatiguing such an important muscle group before heavy lifting. that's suicide

Thanks guys...

super_rice:
what about a very light cuff warmup before the lifts? Wouldn't that actually loosen up the rotators and help prevent injury if it wasn't enough to cause fatigue? Then the real cuff work could still be after.. What do you think?

always at the beginning
you shouldnt be lifting with your joints you should be lifting with your muscles..the idea is to warm up the rotators and get blood flowing in the area..

since im in the minority here this is not my opinion but rather what i have taken from many benchers who bench 6-700 and higher..they may know a thing or two about rotators..

i do my cuff work at the beggining as im warming up on the bench..i have no problems benching 500

I have had an RC tear and always do mine at the beginning. I have heard arguements both ways and really do not have a finite answer. All I know is that there is a major noticeable difference for me when I do not do them before training.

Also, why not incorporate a little internal Rc training as well???

I'd tend to favor some warm-up style work before training. If the goal is to put in some real rotator training where you are going to fatigue it - I wouldn't push it hard and then swap over to heavy compound work. My feelings anyway although I am no rotator specific expert.

KillahBee said:
I have had an RC tear and always do mine at the beginning. I have heard arguements both ways and really do not have a finite answer. All I know is that there is a major noticeable difference for me when I do not do them before training.

Also, why not incorporate a little internal Rc training as well???

Nothing against working the internals, and I plan to. They aren't as neglected as my externals though.

I disagree with super rice...I always do them in the beginning..it's some baby weak cuff work, it's only gonna help and you can't honestly believe that it's going to 'sap your energy for heavy lifting...'

actually, I have found that some light cuff work before heavy benching has helped me loosen my shoulders up as opposed to tire them out...

I say that it should be done outside the gym when you are not doing other exercises. Perhaps go though the mothions before training to warm them up.

Top Bottom