Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Crossfit Training

Elementality

Seems pretty cool, built with the intent for "usable strength". A lot of different athletes and services use this i.e navy seals, MMA fighters, gymnasts, s.w.a.t, marine core etc etc the list goes on.

It's not going to win you a bodybuilding competition or a power lifting competition but it will make you one bad ass athlete for whatever sport you're into.

Anyone have experience with this? I think I'll give it a go for a month and see how I like it.

I have been doing CrossFit exclusively for over a year. I am 37 years old and in the BEST shape of my life. I've been an athlete for many years, but I have never been as physically fit as I am now. In my 20's I was huge into bodybuilding, 5'10, 240 pounds at less than 12% bodyfat, but I couldn't walk up the stairs without getting tired. Those days are gone along with the 400 pound bench, but I can still put up 300 doing CrossFit only. I can do 25 pullups dead hang in a row, and still do 6 miles at under a 7:30 pace. CrossFit is phenomenal. Please if you are new though realize it is HARD work. Learn about scaling and subbing the workouts, it is essential if you are new. You can think you are in incredible shape, but if you give CrossFit a true all out effort, you'll find out how hard it is. There's lots of pukin' going on in CrossFit gyms... That is how tough CrossFit is.

Also go check out www.copfit.net, it's a great resource for workouts and beginner information links, all in one place. Get your buddies to take a look, and spread the work about CrossFit. It truly makes one functionally fit.

So, basically the idea of crossfit is to look at the WOD on the main page and just try and do them that day as they're posted? You can also use the Brandx section to scale down, or just kind of interpret it differently and tailor it to your own personal needs?

Or did you just use the WOD as a reference and completely make your own schedule? for example today it says:

Wednesday September 24

"Nicole"

Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
Run 400 meters
Max rep Pull-ups

Post number of pull-ups completed for each round to comments.

So, you do this today, either as it's posted or scale it down? and then the next day do the next one etc etc?

Just got out of Army Special Forces and we used the WOD quite a bit. Of course we modified them to suit our goals, but it worked out well for us.

When I first started in Crossfit, I tried the WOD as RX. If I scaled it down I would eliminate a "round" or decrease the weight or cut the reps in half or by a third. A lot of times I use the WOD as a guideline, unless it's a really good one. What makes one good, I don't know. I guess it's just like when I was lifting, what ever sounded fun and entertaining at the time. The ultimate goal in CrossFit though is to do the WOD as RX without having to make changes. With that said though, the reason it is set up the way it is - is to allow people to scale or sub what is needed to complete the workout.

Take today, I did the "Deck of Cards" with my wife. I used the entire deck with aces and jokers being runs. I made an ace a 1/4 mile run and a joker a 1/2 mile run, so I'd get two miles of running in. Then with the remaining deck, I picked pushups, pullups, burpees and situps. But I could've chosen lunges, squats, knees to elbows and sledge to tire. I just had to choose 4 exercises, today was a lot of upper body hence the running and perhaps next time I'll do a lot of lower body with shorter runs like sprints. Now for my wife, I took out the 7, 8, 9, jack, queen and king cards. So she had the aces, jokers and tens. She did the same exercises and based on her ability, she scaled it to what worked for her and we finished at the exact same time. She was dog tired like me and tomorrow she'll be sore just like me. Crossfit is an awesome thing, because of the options you have.

yeh lol, man i didn't think running 400 m, then max pull ups cycle for 20 mins would be that tough. I was pretty damn tired at the end of it. Today my lats and biceps are killing me, it hurts so good.

I really like the intensity aspect of it. It's such usable strength vs. just basic gym strength. Mixing cardio with core movement exercises with an emphasis more on time rather than weight is a good twist and I think will really improve me for athletic ability.

Do you mix in a strength routine to go with this, like basic benching, dead lifting, squatting with a focus on weight increases?

Heres a another great example of a WOD

Thursday’s WOD
The Jackhammer
For Time: 60 Kettlebell Swings 53 lbs 50 Box Jump – 24 in.s 40 Wall Balls 20 lbs 30 Pull-ups 20 GHD Sit-ups 10 Power Snatches 115 lbs 100 ft Overhead Walking Lunge 45 lbs Post total time.

the word "crossfit" has been around for a few years now, but this way of training has been around forever. when i started gymnastics in 1960, we did workouts like this..nothing new at all. new to people stuck in the traditional rut way of training, but if you have a good coach, like i did for years, they know their training ways.
depends what your after too.
you wanna be average at everything xfit is for you.
you wanna be great and specialize at a certain sport, sport specificity training is what you need.

I'm only do strength training. Crossfit is great, but there are so many things you can do at home with almost no equipment. Here, i have a tube channel on body weight training theme, so if u want to check it out. I'll be glad to help and receive help. The name of the channel is ABS project

Gabe:rate:

Top Bottom