Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Creation of an Explosive Mofo - My Training Journal :)

Sunday 14th December 2008

When I woke, I felt pretty beat up, some upper back and spinal erectors. Slightly run down feeling. That sucks, since I haven't squatted or BBall/Jump'ed in 2 weeks! It's all from my part time job, after 5 days in a row, I don't feel so good. Makes it hard to tell how much "damage" BBall/Jumping does to my body on Saturdays when I actually do it.
I've been doing this job for so long, that you would think my body would be used to it by now....One reason why I am hardly motivated to train my upper body these days...

weighed 90.2kg 198.4lbs this morning
waist is 34.75 inches around belly button

With this Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio and More...
it puts me at 14.9% bodyfat
Tanita scale = 24.5%

measurements straight out of bed
Wrist - 6.75 inches
Ankle - 8 7/8
Neck - 16

Arms - flexed 15.5
Forearms - flexed 12.25
Chest - lats flexed 44
Hips/Glutes - 41.5
Thighs - 27.25 (-0.25)
Calves - flexed 16.25 (-1/8)

Bodyweight and waist is down, and I look leaner. Semi intermittent fasting does the trick once again. As long as you can occupy yourself enough to not notice the hunger pains :)
Leg size is down though, hope that doesn't effect my leg/squat strength. I do carry a lot of fat on my lower body though. At least my hips have stayed the same, glute power should still be good :D

Don't what the deal is with the Tanita BF% reading, it jumped back up to where it was 2 weeks ago, and another 0.5% ontop!
If I can eventually get back down to 80kg 176lbs, and be able to full squat 405x8, that's gonna be sick!!!! 2.3xBW for 8 reps means plenty of strength for massive hops.

Tuesday 16th December - Block 13 - Week 1 - Day 1 - Workout A

Back to the gym I go. Starting a new block today.
Not an ideal prep for this workout, had to rush there, as I was way late. Didn't get a chance to do my usual nap, so felt a bit drowsy.
Skipped a lot of my usual stuff I do in my warmups. Had to rush back home after the workout as well, to avoid the traffic jams! So I also skipped a lot of my usual post workout stretches.

Strength is down quite a bit.....so I'll have to abandon my plan, for now, and improvise till I regain all my strength back, which shouldn't take long...hopefully. Smaller leg size = weaker...?
It does seem like skipping the BBall/Jumping has an effect on strength to some degree.

Body weight at gym - 201lbs
Workout time - 1+ hour
Workout rating - 3/5

General warm up -

4 min moderate speed walk on treadmill

1 set each of my usual dynamic mobility exercises
behind the neck band pull aparts - green mini-band help 3/4 length 2x8
lateral deep lunge x8
situp complex on swiss ball
single leg RDL mobility + psoas activation walk
4 short runs of low effort prime times (stiff legged runs)

45lb oly bar complex - slow clean pull, GM onto toes, high hang powerclean, military press - 5 reps each

Low bar Full Back Squats - shoulder width stance - Oly Shoes - no Belt

in Nike Free 5.0 trainer - most reps paused at the bottom - Bar x 4, x 4, 95lbs x4, x2, x2 135lbs 3x2, 185lbs 3x2
switched to oly shoes 205lbs x2, 225x2, 255lbs 2x1, 285lbs 2x1, 315lbs x 1, 335x1, 365lbs x 2secs support

1) 365lbs x 3 --> gut busting strain 2nd and 3rd rep
rest 5 mins
2) 315lbs x 6 --> hard strain on last rep

365 was pretty brutal, the 2nd rep was almost as slow as the last rep of the 365x4 I did back on the 16th October. And the 3rd rep was as slow as that, and almost felt like failing. LOL exactly 2 months ago - which means that last 2 months were a waste in a sense. 315x6 was pretty solid though, had a rep in the tank.

Pretty dumb of me to go all all out after a 2 week break. Tweaked my back a bit too. Everything felt so different and unfamiliar. Warm Ups felt good though, good form and mobility, solid, stable, and fast. Plenty of glute action and the loads didn't feel too heavy on my back. Been a while since they felt like that. So when I overreach my warmup sets don't feel so good, and takes me much longer to get a solid groove going.
Walking out with the heavier weights felt pretty unstable though.

Feels like I'm down 20-30lbs strength wise, which equates to 2-3 reps at every load used today. I know I could do 315x9 at least, before the 2 week break, even though I was overreached. And have done 2x8 with 315, back on 11th November. I would guess it's mostly neural, so I should regain it back fairly quickly.
Maybe I could have done 395lbs x3 before the break....415 1RM?

Side plank
warmup - supported leg raises x 8
BW x 5 secs, BW x 30 secs each side - quite tough, worked my cuffs pretty hard too

Leg lowering ab move BW x 5 - slow tempo 30secs set time
kept lower back touching the floor in all reps - starting burning on the last rep

terrible sleep last night - took me a long time to fall asleep, and I kept waking up throughout the night. Needless to say, I don't feel so crash hot today, tired, but at least I'm not drained. Everytime I squat heavy, I just cannot sleep well. Jacks up my nervous system too much!!!
Achey in my posterior chain and upper back DOMs wise, but it's bound to get worse as the day progresses

Lower back felt really painful last night, but surprisingly doesn't feel too bad today, I was able to bend over and pickup moderately heavy stuff at my part time job this morning no problems. Just a moderate muscle strain, no structural damage.

Right hamstring has a moderate strain :(
And my right MCL is pretty sore as well! Right side of the body has some issues for sure, might be due to that old right ankle tear...
Injuries galore..all my fault for going so heavy and all out after a long break...
Knees feel pretty good though

CNS still feels pretty jacked up. Always notice that the day after heavy squats with not too much volume.

Good idea to go for a moderate walk today

I'm no longer updating this thread, but if you want follow my progress you can check out my youtube channel

I just squatted 355lbs for 2x6 last week :)
YouTube - 21Jan09 FullSquat 355lbs 2x5 (Low Bar)

short term goals is 365 for 2x6

then onto 425lbs for 2x6. That should get me to my jumping and dunking goals at a bodyweight of 200lbs, even more so if I can get down to 180lbs and keep all my strength

I'm just squatting once a week, and doing 2-3 sets of 15 rep bodyweight squats on most of my rest days. Working well, getting stronger, and my legs/hips get bigger. A bigger msucle is a stronger msucle...

ok then how are you ? the chinse guy or adam barch ?
i am confused !!
- i folowed up your training and is ok !! i might say !! thou i think you are giving it to much time !! for this thing you want t prove !! dont get me wrong !!
-but what is your golll?
ok now i am pissed off i am watching your movies and i am quite not impresesd to see that all the reading i have done on your thred was a waist of time !!
- dude i dont know how old you are or what is your background !! or any of this stuff !! but your vertical leap !! is ....... actually is not !! 25 inchs anybody can do it !! all that talk about fast twitch and sloww twich ohh my good !!
- ok some advicees !! alot of people miss this !! you dont have jumping tehnique , there is not speed behind your jump !! you dont folow up with your arms as you should !!
-as for your nice gramar and very precise terms in training you have a 10 from me !!
i am upset dude !! couse i am an old fart i got 28 years !! and i strugling with my weight !! as i am endomorf !! like you said to much slow fiber !! i am 6 ' and 200 pounds !! but let me tell you i do the 100m in 11,5 and i breack the rim with a crapy 34 inch vert !!
-strange i dont do your wights by far i am under you and i dont train more then 3 times a week !!
i fell bad for me i wasted my time until i reach the youtube link !! shiit !!
i always knew the philipinos are creative but not like this :)

ok then how are you ? the chinse guy or adam barch ?
i am confused !!
- i folowed up your training and is ok !! i might say !! thou i think you are giving it to much time !! for this thing you want t prove !! dont get me wrong !!
-but what is your golll?
ok now i am pissed off i am watching your movies and i am quite not impresesd to see that all the reading i have done on your thred was a waist of time !!
- dude i dont know how old you are or what is your background !! or any of this stuff !! but your vertical leap !! is ....... actually is not !! 25 inchs anybody can do it !! all that talk about fast twitch and sloww twich ohh my good !!
- ok some advicees !! alot of people miss this !! you dont have jumping tehnique , there is not speed behind your jump !! you dont folow up with your arms as you should !!
-as for your nice gramar and very precise terms in training you have a 10 from me !!
i am upset dude !! couse i am an old fart i got 28 years !! and i strugling with my weight !! as i am endomorf !! like you said to much slow fiber !! i am 6 ' and 200 pounds !! but let me tell you i do the 100m in 11,5 and i breack the rim with a crapy 34 inch vert !!
-strange i dont do your wights by far i am under you and i dont train more then 3 times a week !!
i fell bad for me i wasted my time until i reach the youtube link !! shiit !!
i always knew the philipinos are creative but not like this :)

I'm Asian. Alan is just someone I know.
I'm older than you at 38 years and pretty fat myself at 200lbs at 5'8.5" and I only train once every 4-5 days, so I train a lot less than you do. 28 y.o is freaking young...

recent video shows me hitting my head over an 8 feet ceiling standing flat footed. I'm 5'9.5" in shoes, do the sums, and obviously I'm jumping higher than 25 inches
I'm coming back from a medial meniscus tear in my left knee over the last few months - I haven't been able to do much squatting or any jumping for that matter. So it's under the 30-31 inch I hit at 203lbs earlier in the year, in a fatigued state.

My hops are work in progress. I'll be working my way down to a lean 165-175lbs and upping my squat over 455-500, 345x12 etc
And then we'll see if I can hit my head on that 9 feet ceiling...a legit 39 inch standing vertical jump.
Not too many of those around, everyone either inflates their own hops or measure using reach which sucks

You should be able to hit a 405lb olympic full squat relatively quickly with a legit 34 inch vertical jump...

If you really have a 34 inch VJ you should have no problems getting your head within an inch of a 9 feet backboard standing flat footed. Let's see a video - talk is cheap ;)

Top Bottom