Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Couple ?'s for PLJAY

brianmincher

Jay,

I know that you are pushing close to 20 inch pipes (very impressive) and are about 5 foot 10 I think. Just out of idle curiosity, how do the size of George Halbert and Kenny Patterson and Dewayne Nealy's arms and height compare to your own. I have seen these guys on video and in pictures, but not having a known constant to compare them with it is hard to tell how tall etc. these guys are. Thanks in advance.

Also I was wondering about your thoughts on how long of training, and at what age do you think a person is going to hit their peak strength. I am curious about this for obvious reasons. You and I are almost the exact same age, but you are a little taller and quite a bit bigger, and a hell of a lot stronger, and I am curious about your take on this question. Incidentally, although this was posed to PLJay, I am interested in anyone's thoughts on the subject.

I have been powerlifting for 8 months now, and I just don't want the progress to stop, or even slow down, although, I know that both are inevitable eventually. Thanks for your time, and good luck in St. Pete.

B

Brian

Well i will first start by saying that George Halbert, Kenny Paterson , had big freakin arms! Dwayne Nealy has big arms but shear mass goes to Kenny. One thing i saw from them and have started doin gsince last Sept was forearms. George and Kenny both and huge freakin forearms! Both guys are over 20". Easily. Dwayne not sure big for his size i would say 17 or 18 but cut. Me and Kenny , and angelo Bardinelli sat in a sauna to make weight for about 1 hr off on and on. Angelo was shredded ripped, and kenny was surprisinly lean for his size. If you are lookin athe picture of us on the podeum, to the left 5th place 's Rick Lawarence he is probably the smallest of us all but that dude put up over 600 last year. He live 40 minutes away from me, and he is freakin strong as hell.

I think as far as peaking goes. It doesnt matter who gets there first. Your body will climb to as high as it can tell your in your early 40's. That guy Rick Lawerence in the WPO pick, he was the first bencher to have an impact on me. I seen him bench 545 at 198 and he was my hero! And at 220 he has done over 600 he is 36 years old. When he was in his early 30's he was benching 400ish. Kenny Patterson benched over 700 at like 23. Granted he did first , i feel i will get that number one day but he is reaching the top of his game now. I will reach mine later. You will reach yours later too. And one thing else i dont rememeber what you said about your supplements(juice) but everyone i mentioned ....well...you know. If you stay clean your whole life you will easily pass a 500 bench! No problem! BUt 600? Not sure about that. Maybe you can but certainly not remaining the same weight. Thats just reality bro. I hate to break to you like that but it is what it is. Just look at all the clean records. How many are over 600 at 220? Not many? And chances are they have used before. Gain weight and look like Clay Brandenburg you might go well over 600 lbs. All the natural freaks that hit huge weight over all and clean are big freakin dudes anyway. I mean cornfed mothers that weigh 235 lbs when they first lifted ever.

But not to get to off track you will make steady gains well into your 40's. I see it and hear it all th etime. Take Louie Simmons, ya he is a beast but if he knew now what he did when he was 20 he would have done his pR's earlyier. Maybe? Maybe not? Hell he Pr'd over 900 squat in his mid 50's, Bneched 600 in his mid 50's. He may not have known at 20 what he does now but he is been doing this shit for 20years or so and he is his strongest now.

Dont compare the small things. My arms and yours, my bench and yours. Think abou tthis you hav eput 120 plus on your bench in a very respectable time. Make Steady PR's and you will reach your goal. George halbert was our age and was stuck at 475 for 2 years. Head up son! You will get there i promise. Anything i learn or know i will tell you. I have secrets that pu textra weights on the barbell i will tell, whne you are at that point. As far as size goes ask Jimmie Dean (new to the board) who is probably on eof the most knmowledgeable here , we were looking at pics of me at my first meet and everyon at the gym was laughing how small i looked. Fuck i was 215lbs! My point is the arm size and body density will pack on slowly as the weights increase. Thats whats happen to me. The more i lift , the more times i lift it , the more dense my physique gets.

Be patient. It wil come.

Kewl,

great post I really apreciate it. On the supplement question, my official public policy is that I just eat a lot of hamburgers, but between bro's I have done 3 cycles, though the 2nd was cut short by a near death experience this last September.

I will test clean if tested in March. I will without a doubt go over 500 in the bench under 220 this year. My new "legal" shirt is not as effective as my open back, and I am coming to grips with the fact that 500 may be a few pounds out of reach in March. But in July, I can wear an open back shirt and will without any shadow of a doubt go over 5 bills.

I am bustin balls trying to get my arms up to snuff, and I have been pretty pleased with the progress thus far. I have been kicking myself for not discovering Westside 10 years ago, but there is nothing I can do about that now, but train hard, eat plenty and make a few trips to the GNC, in Guadalajara.

I have a monster of a friend who I lift with on occasion. Like 5 foot 10, 330 or so, and 23 or 24 inch arms, and he is stronger now than ever and he is 42 years old. He has been powerlifting since he was younger than us, and tells me he got bigger and stronger every year. Don't ever worry about breaking things to me, I am hip to the game, and even if I wasn't, I would still rather hear it as it is.

Thanks again. You have been a big help as always. I need to get my head right for this meet coming up. I am having nightmares about bombing in front of my hometown crowd. Need to shake that shit.

B

Brian

It's all just a matter of time. Halbert was at westside for 14 years to set all those records. And I doubt very seriously that he's done setting records. I think he will be the first to break the 800 barrier next year.
Louie Simmons says that he's stronger now than he's ever been, and he's over 60. He benched 600 for the first time when he was 60 years old.
You're definately on the right track. You train on the best program available. Your only 27, I think, and you've already benched 470. I know lots of people who would kill to put up 405.
Last, I think alot of it has to do with mental attitude. If you think for any reason you can't bench 500, you won't. On the other hand if you believe that there are not limits then you'll be fine.
I think that the best gains you'll ever get will be in the next 10-15 years. Look at the guys who win the Olympia, most of them are pushing 40.
Good luck in McAlister at the meet.

Thanks bigokie,

I am 27, and you are absolutely right. I know I just have to fool myself into thinking that 500 aint shit, and it will fly up. The thing is, I know intellectually that I can do 500 if everything goes right. On Sunday, I used 70 lb dumbells for 5 sets of 10 dumbell tricep extensions with 15 seconds rest between sets. When Louie Simmons was using 65's he did a 530 bench, so I know it is there. Once I do it, I think it will be pretty easy to do it again. I know that is how it was passing 300, 350, 400, and 450, so I imagine it will be the same passing 500.

I am trying to just put myself in a frame of mind that will make it impossible to do anything but just smoke 500 on a third attempt. I just have a mental issue with this new shirt, and I am still steaming over the fact that they outlawed open backs.

Are you going to be able to make it down to McAlester?

B

A few questions after reading this.

forearm and bicep size/strength.

do you believe it helps benching?

do you think the cycles helped your powerlifting.in regards to strength.or just muscle mass??(and does the muscle mass gained help)

Brian

Hell yeah I'll be in McAlister, it'll be good to know the OK state record holder in the bench. As for the shirt, can't help there, but don't worry I bet it'll work out okay. I'm sure it just takes practice. As for the db extensions, 70 sounds good. What are some of your back lifts?

Endpoint, I think forearm bicep strength is very important for benching. If you can't hold the bar in the right groove you'll miss the bench every time. Also, bigger forearms let you transfer the force to the bar easier.

Bigokie, I will be excited to meet you in person in McAlester. I hope that you will in fact know the new Class 1 state record holder.

Heavywear, yes they helped, but not nearly as much as you would think. I say this because, I have consistently gained in strength whether on or off. I do gain weight easier while on, but I don't gain strength faster, at least that I can notice. Others may have a different opinion.

I have definately gained muscle mass, especially in my arms and lats since going on Westside 8 months ago. I have had stretch marks where my pecs tie into my arms since I was about 16 years old. In the last 8 months I have developed them down my arms, both on the bicep side as well as the tricep side, and down my lats as well. I also have stretch marks down the inside of my thighs that were never there before. I have gotten a lot, lot stronger during this time. I doubt that it was a coincidence.

Bigokie, I can't deadlift worth a shit. After you meet me in person, you will know why. I can deadlift in the mid 400's, I can do a bent row, with around 300 with straps. I don't do many chins anymore, cause they are tough on my shoulders, but I can do pretty close to 20 chins.

Endpoint

To answer your question on forearm strength my take is this. I started doing them caus ein training i do alot of reps short of a full stroke. meaning i can bench 620ish probably straight up. But i can bring 675 or so 3 to 6 inches from my chest and blast it to lockout. Those help my lockout i feel. Now since (not just you) but to anyone who has never even held 600 nonetheless 675 or hell 733 like halbert. Have someone hand off a huge weigh tto you. Be under pins. For safety. Hold 650 in there like your fixing to bench it. Your forearms will feel like there gonna crack in half! And i aint kiddin. But i fyou get used to handling weight and strengthin your arms (bi's and tri's) to just hold it. If you hold it confidently you will bench it more confidently. Then hell when you bench what you real max is it feels like a feather. So yes i cant stress strong forearms more then ever. When your at a meet and you get a handoff for a record or something you wanna get your handoff and think ....this aint shit! Then you will bench it easlier, your mental battle was won in the gym!

Top Bottom