Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Could I have some tips and suggestions?

Chrislorious

I just recently decided I wanted to start working out some. My goals are both strength and size. I'm 19 years old, 5'10", very lean athletic body, about 135 lbs on heavier weeks.

I picked up one of the Gold's Gym Spacesaver 25 lb Singles. It's a dumbell that switches from 5-25 lbs in 5 lb increments. I just did my first workout session and I definitely felt it a lot. I would like to ask a few questions and get some tips on it.

First off, I started at 25 lbs on both arms. I was hoping to be able to do about 20 reps but that wasn't the case. On the right arm I was able to do 10 whereas on the left arm I was only able to do 3. It went as follows:

Right:
25 lbs - 10 reps
20 lbs - 10 reps
15 lbs - 15 reps
10 lbs - 25 reps
5 lbs - 50 reps

Left:
25 lbs - 3 reps
20 lbs - 10 reps
15 lbs - 15 reps
10 lbs - 25 reps
5 lbs - 50 reps

I know my form was perfect as my uncle showed me how I should be doing it before I came home (former body builder). After doing that set, I wasn't sure how I would work my triceps with it so I went ahead and laid down and lifted it the same way you would a barbell by holding the outer ends of the dumbell. I managed to get the following results.

25 lbs - 25 reps
20 lbs - 25 reps
15 lbs - 25 reps
10 lbs - 35 reps
5 lbs - 50 reps

I'm sure this probably isn't the correct way to do this but at this point it is all I know how.

After doing this, I sat the weights on my stomach, tensed up, and did 25 normal curls and 26 side to side curls. I then was able to do 15 push-ups.

My arms are thoroughly tired right now. The reason my right arm was able to do so much more off the first set of reps is because I'm a bowler. I guess it didn't help that I bowled 12 games yesterday for a tournament which probably contributed some.

From what I have read, I should be doing this every other day. What are some things you guys would recommend me doing. Are their any other types of workouts I should do. Is something I'm doing incorrect. What should I be eating really? I drink a lot of Vitamin Water if that helps. My eating habits currently are rather random.

I'm willing to do what needs to be done. You guys tell me what I have to do and I'll follow it and continue to ask for your help in the future. Thanks for taking the time to read ;). I look forward to your responses.

It sounds like you.are really.emphasizing arm size,in particular the biceps. Biceps make up only 1/3 of your upper arms muscle mass. Developing the triceps is what will fill out the size. Also compound movements with heavy weights (bench press,pullups,rows,shoulder press) will lead to greater gains in terms of.mass. Curls are more.of am isolation movement and should be utilized after a compounds as a "finisher" Also every other day is.rediculous as.the.biceps are such a small muscle group. Training like this will quickly.lead to an overtrained state where you will see no gains or.even loss of.size. I would suggest doing some research on a proper mass gaining routine and a proper diet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using EliteFitness

Dude if you really want to train join a gym and hire a trainer. You are a true beginner and need to learn. Im not being an asshole, but you need someone experienced to teach you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness

I'm in college and barely getting by money wise so I can't afford to join a gym or get a lot of equipment. I'm just trying to make do with what I have. What ways would you recommend I work on my triceps. What other things specifically can I do with the equipment that I have?

A good Push Up and Pull Up routine will serve you better than anything those lightweight dumbbells will offer you. No growing boy should be working with a maximum of 25lbs. dumbbells if they are serious about getting strong.

Once you can do 20 pull ups consecutively, put the dumbbells between your legs and work for 15 reps of 25 lbs. Starting with 15 reps of 5 lbs.

If you can't do a single pull up, then work on negative pull ups until you can get the strength to do a few normal ones. Work up from there.

You should be able to find some kind of bar to do pull ups on at a park or probably your house. Or you could by the Iron Gym door frame one, I know you don't want to spend money but that is a solid investment.

By the time you can do 15 reps of pull ups with 25lbs. straddled between your legs its time to stop kidding yourself and go to the gym. By then you'll have noticeable results in your body and I'm sure your parents or someone will help you with a membership.

Last edited:
Top Bottom