Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

correct form for leg press

emmab

I am concerned that my form is off for the leg press. When you lower the weight, how low do you go. I find that I can't get my knees very bent before my hips and back start lifting and/or hurting. I usually stop lowering at this point and start the push up, but I am worried I am not going low enough. I did this yesterday and managed to get to 85kg (I am a novice remember!!!) and feel sore today, but could my form be a problem ie not lowering far enough?

Depends on what kind of leg press you are using. For a "chair" type where you are sitting up, keep your feet high on the platform and about shoulder width with your toes pointed slightly out. You should be able to lower the weight until your quads hit your stomach/chest and then take it back up. DO NOT let your ass come off the seat! If it does, then you are doing them incorrectly and are flirting with injury. Keep your back tight and your shoulders/ass firmly against the pad. Lower the weight until you can do this. After you get it down, then start increasing weight.

------------------
One Rep Past Death...

[This message has been edited by kingsquat (edited April 02, 2001).]

if you are doing the lay down legpress where you put the weights on and are laying at like a 45 degree angle. You feet once again like the previos guy said should be fairly high on the board and when lowering the angle of your shins should not go below 90 degrees -------- <-- This is your knee
|
|
| <--Butt is here

k try this. Ultimately you should ask the people/trainer at the gym where you work out. and ask them to show you.

------------------
Peace n Love 2 Ya
==================================================
Peace cause that hate stuff'll kill ya!!!

Neoborn, I do not understand you illustration.
King squats advice is good and both were correct to say keep your back against the pad. This is risking injury if it raises up.
What I don't agree with is putting your feet too high. The problem is, the higher you put your feet, the more the stress is transfered to the hams, rather than the quads.
Just go as low as you comfortably can with knees to chest/stomach if you can. Remember not everybody is as flexible and people have different mechanics but go as low as you can, safely.

Top Bottom