Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Conventional v. Sumo Deadlift

2Shy

I have an exercise anatomy book that shows which muscles are engaged during various exercises.

In the deadlift example, nearly every muscle was used in one way or another during the conventional deadlift. For the sumo example, the book states "Unlike the classic lift, this exercise works the quadriceps muscles and the adductor mass of the thighs more intensely and works the back less intensely, as it is less tilted to begin with."

I can see how the quads and adductors figure into a sumo stance more readily.

I normally use a sumo stance. However, to hit more of my back, should I mix it up some (switch back to conventional every once in awhile). Will Romanians accomplish the same thing?

Just curious.

~2Shy

That is what i just learned, if you want to really work Quads do sumo, but if you want to get your back thick try conventional.

I just do conventional now, and squat for quads. I work out with a peronal trainer (non paid) who is a friend of mine and he knows his stuff, told me that romanians will probably accomplish the same but he prefers conventional lifts. Anyway you do them its good, better than to lounge all day watching tv like me sometimes.(leg days)lol

I don't doubt that the quads get hit harder, but think of a sumo deadlift as a 'hanging front squat.' When I squat, I sit back, spread, my knees, arch my back tight, and use my glutes/hams to shoot my hips through....and that's exactly how I deadlift.

I also do conventionals in training as back work. I think it's a great idea to perform both, but specialize in one or the other.

Thanks. This does explain why my back feels it more in a close stance.

I plan to stick with sumo for main moves, though. It just feels better. I'll just remember to stand conventional when doing Romanians or stiffies.

~2Shy (learning something new)

gotta get your plugs in where you can......

the rack pulls have been kicking my ass lately. i guess that stands to reason, since i've only been dling a month or so. i find that i have a lot less stregth off the rack. and VDOP loves low rack pulls. i see him setting the rack height, and i want to go hide in the corner and cry.....

Also might wanna try deads with the bar behind your legs. I love those. If your looking to move more weight, sumo is good cuz it cuts the distance. Its still awkward for me though, so I stay with conventional.

Top Bottom