Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Contest Results

Deciever

just got back from my contest today w/ I'D RATHER BE DEADLIFTING.

my lifts were this..
165 bench
255 squat
335 dead
i bombed my bench.. it was 25lbs below my best, and my squat wasnt great either.. my deadlift was a PR..

I'D RATHER BE DEADLIFTING had some good lifts, i'll let him tell you about them when he gets home.

Hey man way to go on the lifts, I thought you had a 190 bench why did you jump 25lbs from your opener or your 2nd lift. I normally stick around 10-15lbs since we're not big benchers like these guys that can jump 50lbs b/c it ain't shit to them. Either way, way to go on the deadlift PR. your legs are almost as powerful as mine. Damn I gotta work harder. You are a strong lil bitch for 14, I wish my brother would take it serious like you, and i wish i woulda tooken it serious at 14 myself, that's why I want him to take it serious.

This is perhaps a dumb question but I never understood how people can bomb at contests. Probably because I'm still a very weak beginner, but I just can't see why you'd suddenly press or squat a lot less than usual. Can someone explain it to me?

Nice lifts BTW...especially for your age. You're lifts are the same as mine but your squat is a good deal higher so congrats :)

-Zulu

ZZuluZ

You shouldn't really know ur max before you go in b/c then ur not getting enough rest if you max the week before so you think of a number you can get and u do it on ur 3rd attempt try to make ur 2nd one, one that u know u can do. I open with whatever i maxed at last time(6weeks ago)

Great atmosphere. I mean, it took place in a Church and everyone was friendly and there to cheer each other on and help each other out.

Deciever really impressed me along with a lot of his friends. Young guys putiing up good weights at low bodyweights. Good thing to see. I wish I started younger.

The meet for me was a great learning experience on many levels. One thing I learned is that if I am going to be lifting for 7 hours I must eat!! I ran out of steem by the time we got to deads. I hit PR's on both squats and bench. Then I get to deads, my best lift, and I totally crapped out. I was not comfortable on the mat they had. My wide sumo stance had my foot slipping out on every attempt. I wanted to do it from the floor, but the judge said the plates had to be put down on the mat. Oh well, my first meet, a great experience and I hit 2 PR's. Can't beat that. Went like this:

Weight- 146 lbs

Squat-300(miss), 300, 320
Bench-205, 225, 240(thanks for the tips on the shirt Jay, huge PR for me!
Dead-405, 425(miss), 440(miss)
Total- 965

I know I will definitely be competing in the future. Ton of fun and just a great bunch of guys. Plus, I got all my lifts on video, so I can critique form.

My buddy who we were expecting big numbers from had a tough time. Weighed in at 216, hit a 650 squat, that after watching the tape was a bit high, but they counted it. Next best in his class was 350! He had a tough time on bench. Hit 405, but the judge said his butt came off the bench. It was practically undetecable and they let a lot slide, but oh well. Tried to open with a 560 pull and failed 3 attempts at it. So only his squat went to his total. Funny thing is he was leading after both the squat and bench, even though he only squatted.

Re: bombing

ZZulu,

In regards to bombing, I think the reason depends upon the level of the competitor. For someone new, a bomb in the squat might be because the meet squats are a lot lot lower than most people ever go in the gym. And most people can half squat a hell of a lot more than they can squat to competitive depth.

For more experienced guys, it might be a matter of their not having much margin for error. PowerlifterJay would be a much better source for this explanation, but I will throw in my 2 cents. For example, in one of my bench shirts, the difference between what it takes for the bar to touch, and what I can lock out is about the same amount.

Also, for myself, and I don't know if this goes for everyone, but I can bench about 40 more pounds on a good day than I can on an average day. On a bad day, with little sleep, a cold, or whatever, I cannot bench near as much as on an average day. If you are having an off day, you could very well bomb out. I am actually kind of freaked out that I might bomb in my upcoming meet, because I have a new shirt that I am not really used to, and it doesn't really work as well as what I am used to.

B

for my bench we were on a bench that i wasnt familiar with that didnt fit my size very well.. it had a butt pad, then a crack, and then a back pad.. and since im short my ass was falling in the crack throwing me off...

my lifts went like this
1- 165
2- 180 (miss)
3- 180 (miss)

that was the first time i ever missed 180
the spotters were the worst in the world, they had no clue what they were doing, helped up my friend on a squat as he was still moving up so they couldnt count the lift, and went to grab the bar off a kids back and accidentally knocked the bar forward, pushing the kid off balanced, causing him to fall and get his finger caught between the bar and the safety pins. (we used power racks for safety purposes).

And that was a broken finger folks, that I had to witness from right behind him as I was up next going for a PR. Poor guy, his adrenaline was so high he didn't even realize his finger was all bent the wrong way and he was bleeding like a mofo! Tough kid barely grimmaced the whole time they bandaged him upa nd took him to the hospital/doctor(?).

as the kid was getting medical attention, i asked him what he wanted to open on bench press with :) lol

Top Bottom