Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

conflicting activities

patro

Like many people, I want to lose fat and build muscle. I'm slightly overweight. If I try to diet and lose weight, and essentially change my eating habits forever, won't that conflict with my goals of putting on muscle?

How can you starve yourself and still grow? I'm eating low calories and doing cardio/lifting all the time. Is this hindering my gains?

Might I be better off eating more calories and just throwing on the muscle and forgetting about losing weight because that should follow afterwards?

Damn, it's a conflict.

Please help,

PATRO

It's extremely difficult to do both at the same time. Best to concentrate on one and do the best you can with the other. If you want to lose bodyfat, focus on that and keep lifting. If your diet is sound, you'll lose a little muscle, but not much. Once you do that, then you can start bulking. But, remember that bulking is not an excuse to eat like a pig. You have to still eat clean, just eat more.

I'll lose muscle if I'm on a diet even if I'm hitting the weights all the time?

If that's the case, I'd rather eat more, and try to bulk up and build mass and muscle, then loose the fat later....

Up to you. But yes, you can lift all you want, but if the calories aren't there for growth, you'll have a hard time gaining. But, IMO, you're kind of splitting hairs. You lose a little muscle when cutting, but so what? It's not like you shrink down to death camp size or something. Long as you're eating right and lifting, you'll still look good.

if you sa ythat you are overweight,diet down and concentrate on that....it IS hard to tryto do both at the same time as he said.i would diet down ,get to a bodyfat that you like...then go back up,but try to do it with good foods and a good diet.you can bulk without soley eating garbage. a bulk up for me means nothing more than increasing calories..clean calories.you should try to eat pretty good regardless,so that you have a good diet to support your weight training..............

If you're new to lifting/cardio, and especially if you were living a sloppy lifestyle before, you'll lose fat and gain muscle at the same time very easily at first (3-6 months). I'd ride out those beginner gains, get used to the lifestyle, then pick a single goal to work toward 100%. Past the beginner stages, if you put half your effort into gaining muscle mass, and half your effort into losing fat mass, you'll get half-assed results.

There is a thread on the women's board that you should check out, started by MS called "spats, some more food for thought" (or something like that). The info contained is worth considering.

OTCbooty said:
If you're new to lifting/cardio, and especially if you were living a sloppy lifestyle before, you'll lose fat and gain muscle at the same time very easily at first (3-6 months). I'd ride out those beginner gains, get used to the lifestyle, then pick a single goal to work toward 100%. Past the beginner stages, if you put half your effort into gaining muscle mass, and half your effort into losing fat mass, you'll get half-assed results.

There is a thread on the women's board that you should check out, started by MS called "spats, some more food for thought" (or something like that). The info contained is worth considering.

Good point. If you're new to working out, I wouldn't even worry about it. The tough part for you will be to start and STICK TO a new program. Focus on that for now. Worry about details later.

Good point. If you're new to working out, I wouldn't even worry about it. The tough part for you will be to start and STICK TO a new program. Focus on that for now. Worry about details later.

__________________________________________________-

Thanks, that's the easy part for me. I'm in the gym on a very regular basis and I rarely miss a work-out. If I do, I more than make up for it. All I do is read, read, read, about this shit and I just can't make headway.

I don't eat fast food, sugar, junk, shit or garbage. I had two cookies 3 days ago, but that is VERY rare for me. I've even given up beer for the last 6 weeks!

I hit the gym, do cardio, and learn more everyday, but I can't make any changes.

I drink gallons of water a day and sleep 8 hours a night.

WTF? Can anyone help?

-Patro

Last edited:
What are your current stats?
Im 5'10" 170-ish. In the last 2.5 months Ive lost about 15 lbs of fat, and definately gained muscle. I can still lose at LEAST 5 or 10 more pounds of fat. btw - i just started working out 2.5 months ago.
I do 30 min of bike cardio 3x a week. 2 or 3 40g protein shakes a day. 1 or 2 tins of salmon, crab or tuna a day. Still drink WAY to much beer, but Im still losing fat, gaining muscle. Bench has gone from 135 to 185.
U similar to this?

Top Bottom