Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Combining Strength with Hypertrophy with Endurance

upthebench

hello Elite Fitness,

I am new here so sorry if anything i am doing with this post is off. I have been training a few years now for sports and have all my technique and stuff down so do not take me as a newb with this question. I am looking to do the following this coming year(365 days not 2014)

-add 100lbs to bench for strength ego
-increase conditioning for sports(will require fat loss)
-add 6 inches to chest, 2 inches to arms, 3 inches to thighs, 6 inches to shoulders(upper body size for sport as well as aesthetics)

(i have a natural lower body strength that i am not concerned with trying to increase it will just happen)

I know this sounds pretty ridiculous but it is better than underestimating yourself in my opinion

My question is how exactly do you think i go about this?

What i am thinking of doing is taking a traditional west side template except i will keep the bench there at all times rather than switch every 3 weeks, i will also make the dynamic effort day part of back off or "drop" sets for the heavy day and make the dynamic effort day a pure hypertrophy day most likely with a light weight AMRAP which should help with my overall conditioning, maybe make it a 20 rep max

I would spread out accessory work to be daily rather than 4 days a week to up conditioning and allow me to do a little higher volume

so something like

m- Bench Day with Heavy and Speed, Light back and shoulder work for shoulder health after benching
t- Conditioning, GPP
w- Heavy Squat and Deadlift day, GPP
th-GPP, Lower Body Accessory/Hypertrophy Day
f- Upper Body Hypertrophy Day, AMRAP bench day
s- Back Hypertrophy, Arm Hypertrophy, GPP
S- Lower Body Speed Day, GPP

Core, abs, trunk, etc is included in GPP

Diet- I never had a diet before but i am proposing 300 grams of protein, 150 grams of fat, Rest of Calories come from carbs depending how calories are

Following a tried and true method is always a good idea. I'm not familiar enough with how this will look for 52 weeks, but my basic recommendation is to have a serious change in some part of the approach every 12 weeks. That can include rep range, rep speed, rest between sets, order of exercises, etc. You need to keep changing or the body will get used to the approach and stop growing.

But your gains will all be down to your diet, so you should be more clear about meal times and what they will include.

Its a tough call without looking at ur physique.

Employing westside would not even be something I would consider for u.

The primary reason westside was developed was to simply lift more weight, as a result individuals will get stronger, however not understanding where u want to take ur physique, I'm stuck.

Remember they are essentially training a lift, moreso than training the muscle for aesthetics.

Don't get me wrong I love westside for what is is, as well as 531,5x5 and the whole 9. I believe heavily on the bench dead and squats and their variations.

Decide where u want to take urself. I feel a bit more time maybe needed. How old r u?

Last edited:
Top Bottom