Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Close Grip VS. Reverse Grip

MikeK

I was wondering which is a better exersize for building up your tri's. Ive heard a few good things about reverse grip bench press, but not all that much.

Thanks,
Mike

they are both great for your triceps.

close grip - has a better chance to flare your elbows when weight gets heavy.

rev grip - mainly overloads your minor tricep head because of the angle (the par closest to the elbow) and leaves little room for flaring. however most people have to use less weight with rev grip.

i really like them both.

X

Use the Close Grip Bench Press for Tri's. You can use more weight with these and they're easier to control than Reverse Grips.

I like close grip inclines in addition to rev grips and close grips. The reverse grip is an odd movement at first , but once you get the hang of it you can use significant weights ( I always need a hand off though)

I agree with Big Wh1tey. The only reason I end up doing close grip more often is because I can comfortably handle heavier weights this way. Sometimes on reverse grip, especially without a hand off, I don't feel like I can do enough weight to make it worthwhile.

I tried reverse grips today. It was really awkward unracking the bar. Also had to stop after 3 sets because it seemed to be hurting my shoulder. I chalked it up to form, but could it involve your shoulder more the same way a BB bench does?

I really like the close grips, though.

i hope to try it as a freeweight, but now i am happy doing reverse grip on the smith machine...il try this out for a while...always loved close grip tho...especially after i stopped holding it too damn close

Reverse-grips require a "bump" on practically every set, due to the fact that the only filange keeping the weight from falling on your face, are your thumbs. That kinda sucks, since I really don't like to rely on other people too much, unless I am going heavier obviously(where it is a necessity), and asking for bumps at 205 just makes me feel unconfortable, and like a pest. Doing reverse-grips on the Smith-Machine was a good suggestion (as magman stated) since you only need to turn your wrists to unrack the bar, as opposed to having to lift it up & forward while using a freebar. You won't need as many lift-offs doing them that way. I'd have someone watching you just the same, in case you can't turn your wrists back to re-rack the weight. RG's could be dangerous for someone who has little experience in the gym due to the possibility of the weight slipping around the thumb, and coming down on someones head or throat. You really need to error on the side of caution while doing them, even if you know what you're doing. ALWAYS have a spotter!.

As far as overall effect, I like close-grips better myself. They are great for developing that long horse-shoe look. R-G's hit the other part of the tricep, from my experiences with them.

Last edited:
Both exercises are good. Use them both, this way your system has one more exercise to use to keep your body from adapting to a training stress.

Top Bottom