Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

a choice between training splits, cant decide which is better. help!

athlete0185

i ventured upon the 5x5 method recently and decided to try it. ill be going 4 days a week, but cant work out fri or sat because of hockey games. sooooo i cant decide how i want to design the split. should it be

mon - chest, shoulders
tues - back
wed - OFF
thurs - arms
fri - OFF, hockey game
sat - OFF, hockey game
sun - legs

or

mon - chest, triceps
tues - back, biceps
wed - off
thurs - shoulders
fri - OFF, hockey game
sat - OFF, hockey game
sun - legs

i like gicing arms their own day but on the first split im worried about working arms too much because the chest and back both work the arms while the second split gives them a lot of time off. any comments appreciated.

Are you working out to improve your hockey, or just to get bigger? While I am playing hockey I take the day before and the day after games off. I may do a little active recovery stuff the day after, light leg work or sled dragging to get the blood flowing. If you are looking to improve your on ice performance focus on hips, hamstrings, glutes. There is a good article on a hockey workout at www.elitefts.com . Click articles, then current articles.

CoolColJ said:
If your an athlete why are you splitting eveyrthing up so discretely? :)

what do you mean?

oh, and good article, but wayyyyyy to much legs for during the season. maxing out all the time and then going to practice can't be too good for me, im tired as it is. plus i cant work out fri or sat. if i took a day off before the game and after i could only work out 3 days a week, mon tues and wed. everyone wants to improve their game, but i need to get stronger and bigger, the rest will come.

i just wanna know what split out of the two to do :(

If it were me I would need the two days off a week to recover. Honestly I do not like either split, I could not get a good leg workout the day after two days of hockey. I think in season I would have to do an upper/lower split maybe three days a week. I am far from an expert on this but I might try
Mon: Lower back, legs, abs
Tuesday: Off, maybe light sled dragging or active recovery for legs
Weds: chest, arms, upper back
Thursday:Off
Fri: Hockey
Sat: Hockey
Sun: Upper back, arms, chest
Like the article says, for hockey you need both explosive and static strength, I think a program aimed at building both would be the best. Here is another article on hockey training, sorry I could not give the simple which split answer.
http://www.playyourgame.com/8-week_program.html

use the second split but don't do chest and back and bis right after eachother tke a day off or throw in legs first
Josh

Top Bottom