Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Chin-ups VS Pull-ups

you mean palm-down versus palm-up I take it? Efficient for what? Palm-up is more compound, palm-down is slightly more isolated to lats. If you want mass, compounds are efficient. If you are trying to use it as a back exercise, palm-down probably marginally better. Although truly isolating the lats involves taking the weak link (arms) out of the movement, like one of the many machine-style elbow-contact pullovers. very nebulous question. Probably your gym should spend more time lifting and less time debating mute points.

I do pull ups for back exercises, I have a good feel for isolating my back with them after doing them so much, rarely will I do a chin up for fear of overworking my bis.

Now that you mention it, My Biceps also seem to be more effected with chin-ups than my back.
Ill stick w/ pull-ups on back days.
Karma to u.

I never really noticed too much of a difference with the two, but I'll give it a shot. I'm sure you guys are right that pullups target the back more. In the end, it shouldn't matter much. I agree with Maj. Tell everyone to lift. Arguing over minor things such as that isn't going to get anyone anywhere.

Well...this is how I've always done them.

Chins: palms away
Pull Ups: palms facing

Palms facing are pretty darn easy...I always do palms away. PR is 13 reps at 290.

B True

IIRC, palms facing uses one more muscle that palms away does not, hence they are easier. I do them for number goal so do them palms facing. But if you want to emphasize the main muscles it uses more (lats and bis), then do them facing away.

Variation is the key...do different types. IMO, you should work most on your weakest movement. Alot of people can do pull-ups easily and chins are tough (or vice-versa)...so work on the weaker of the two...but always vary it up.

You can also do them with palms facing (if your gym has that grip), or throw two towels over a horizontal bar, and just grab those and pull yourself up, this is good for your grip, arms, and back.

b fold the truth said:
Well...this is how I've always done them.

Chins: palms away
Pull Ups: palms facing

Palms facing are pretty darn easy...I always do palms away. PR is 13 reps at 290.

B True
290 is how much you weigh or with your weight PLUS 290...

i know this is a dumb question but who knows, since you never cease to amaze me ;)

Top Bottom