Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Chain suspended good mornings

bigokie

I was wondering what size and length of chain you guys use to do these. Haven't done them from chains but I have used them off pins and I was told the chains were better. I was thinking of using the 1/4" chains that I use for Dyn stuff. I figured these will work.

Also, off topic but if you guys haven't been to elitefts.com and read Dave's new article "The Big Woof" You are missing out. This has become one of my favorite articles that he has written. It's worth the five minutes to read, just for motivational purposes.

i would assume that yuou could use the chains that use for dyn. days.

and about the big woof article, yeah thats a great article, really motivational

1/4 would probably be fine. Westside uses some fairly light chains for theirs, probably 1/4 or pretty close. Let me know how it works out. I have been doing mine off the pins, but maybe a trip to Sutherland's is needed.

B.

benchmonster said:
1/4 would probably be fine. Westside uses some fairly light chains for theirs, probably 1/4 or pretty close. Let me know how it works out. I have been doing mine off the pins, but maybe a trip to Sutherland's is needed.

B.

Thats what we use...the same chains that we do Dynamic Work with. In fact we are doing chains suspended GM's tomorrow. Another day of PR's

Update

Tried these today as my ME exercise. Worked up over many many sets to 405. Missed it twice then one the third try smoked it, easy. Went to 495 missed once, then on second try got it. Didn't smoke it but it went up and that's all that matters to me. Then went to 585. Tried this one 4 or 5 times. Couldn't get it. I budged it off the pins but couldn't finish. By this time my lower back was screaming. Decided in a moment of insanity to follow these with pull throughs for 4 sets of max reps. Let's just say after all this my lower back was actually throbbing in pain. Not wanting to let well enough alone, I did cable pulldowns for sets of 10 until I couldn't go anymore. All in all a bitch of a workout.

Now to my question, I figure on alternating the heighth of the chains from time to time. Is this what you guys are doing? How much difference from time to time? Also, what kind of numbers do you guys post on this? Thanks

Hey BigOkie! I need to get some chains to do suspended barbell exercises with. Yesterday for my ME day I did wide-stance arched-back goodmornings off of the pins set at belly-button height. These were not done from the bottom up. I unracked the weight and set up in a typical squat stance. Then I slowly lowered the weight until it rested on the pins, waited for a count of 1,001 and powered the weight back up to lockout. This is what the workout looked like

bar x 10
135 x 6
225 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 3
405 x 3 (put belt on)
455 x 2
495 x 1

I stopped there but 495 was only moderately difficult. I think I'm good for 545+. At 455 I started using my hips & legs but my lower back really got a good workout. Oh by the way, my lower back is good to go now. No more severe back pumps for me. I'm ready to hit some big numbers on my lower body workouts again.

Screwball, you should really try these from the bottom up. They are tough as shit. I think it is because you can't get into groove like you would when you start from the top and go down. You really have to start out tight or the bar will not budge. I found this out the hard way. It took me so many sets to get up to 585 that I was drained by the time I got there. That plus the fact that I was making 90# jumps just really did me in. Hey if your interested in some chains I found a place that is selling 5/8" for cheaper than toppers'. I know you don't want to use those for this but they are good for dyn stuff.

hey bgiokie,

suspended chain good mornings have become one of my favorite exercises.

we use 3/8" chain to suspend the bar. be careful. the chains wont break even if you slam 800+ lbs into them but the carabeeners (spelling???) you use to hold them together might. we put safety bars in just below where the chains suspend the bar and sometimes we double up the carabeeners.

when i use a close stance, i think they come close to simulating my deadlift because they start from a static position.

when i use an ultra-wide stance, they really seem to help that lockout portion of my squat.

we use a variety of heights. of course, the heigher we raise the chain, the more weight we can use.

i have a TON of videos of us doing good mornings at various stances.

www.growordie.com/training/videos

just look for all of the titles with good morning in them.

/irish

BigOkie,

We did suspended chain good mornings today with an ultra-wide stance. I used a new bar position: 41.5 from the floor to top of bar.

My previous best off of a 43" position was 655.

Today, I hit 675, missing 705 by a hair.

Two weeks ago, I hit 815 off of a 45" position.

Moving the bar up or down a few inches seems to massively change my leverage and effect my poundage on this exercise.

I love these. They seem to work my whole body yet not trash my tendons like heavy pulling.

Good luck. Next week I am going to take 705 and nail it. I will have a video too!

/irish

Irish, that's crazy weights. What do you squat and pull? Not comp lifts but what do you think you could do in the gym with equipment? Also, how tall are you? Just trying to compare how high your bar is compared to mine. I'm about 6'5" so I think I need to move the bar up a little. These seem to be very difficult, just because I can't get them in groove and it's hard to get myself under the bar. When I did them this last time I was close to parralell at the bottom. I'm pretty satisfied with what I got considering it's my first time to try them. How often do you train gm's like this? Do you train pretty much Westside? Thanks for your help

Top Bottom