Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Chain suspended good mornings

BigOkie,

I am 5'9.5. We have a partner who is about 6'5" and uses the same heights. Of course, they are much harder for him to do :)

My gym lifts:

squat: 800+
dead: 675+

Have you had a look at my videos? You can see where our back positions are in them.

/t

No I can't get your videos to work on my home computer. One of these days I'll take a walk to campus and look at them on the campus computers, they are much faster and I'm sure have the equipment to run them. Thanks for your answers.

would it be a good idea to do these after squats? Not as a ME but maybe a few sets of 4-5 right after regualr squats? I usually do some sldl but wanted to add some other acc's also?

would doing either chain suspended GM's or pin GM's after doing reqular squats be a good idea? Im doing my squats today around 1pm and just wanted to know if it would be good to do some of these GM's as assistance. Last week i did some regular GM's going almost to parrl, but maybe will try some arch backed ones and not go down as far? Anyone?;)

vtec96,

Sure, you can do good-mornings as an accessory movement after your ME or DE movement (Box squats). I would do them in the 3-6 rep range. Make sure your form doesn't break down when repping.

screwball....Hey i did them today and they worked great!
I know i did not do them fully correct but here is what I did, maybe u can tell me how to imporve it for next time.... :D

after regular sq's, I put the safety pins 4 holes below where i was lifting off of...the pins were at about were my rib cage starts when standing straight up. Not sure if this was too high or not, but it was like a 1/4 sq range. Now my first 3 sets, I realized I was using much more leg drive than i thought i should, almost making this a 1/4 sq! Then i stopped adding weight and keep my legs a little more straight and used more back! Now i started by lifting off like a full squat, then stepping back and going down to touch and pause on the pins. I had to be carefull about dropping it too hard since it would loose the grove on my back with the pins! then after my 5 reps, i re-racked it to the top! Now that i have seen Irish's video's again, I think i was supposed to start each rep from the pins?

what is the difference between pausing on the pins/chains and not? Same principle as the box squat right? And would it make any difference if i only used the pins compared to chains? I w/o at my local college gym, so may or may not be able to use chains?

Thanks bro, I think im getting there ;)

vtec96 said:
what is the difference between pausing on the pins/chains and not? Same principle as the box squat right? And would it make any difference if i only used the pins compared to chains? I w/o at my local college gym, so may or may not be able to use chains?

What makes suspending the Good Mornings from chains so effective is there is No Eccentric to start. You are starting from a static position. Just like a deadlift. If you walk it out like a squat...and then just touch the pins...you are able to stay tight..and you don't break of the concentric/eccentric chain.

I know that when I do the chain suspended that the first rep is the hardest...if I can get it, I can usually get the triple....even with the pause on the chains. IMO the chain suspended is the best way to do the good morning.

Depends on which college it is. If it is UF you might be in luck...little more hardcore...but a smaller school like FAU or UNF and they have more of a "fitness center" atomosphere.

Hannibal said:

Depends on which college it is. If it is UF you might be in luck...little more hardcore...but a smaller school like FAU or UNF and they have more of a "fitness center" atomosphere.
Actually its F.I.U. in Miami.....The power rack is in the corner almost out of view from the staff, so i might be able to ...... do u think the chains are that much better than the pins? I have some, so i might get them ready for next week if i decide to try them ...

Sounds good. There are endless variations to the good-morning. Like Hannibal said when you perform good-mornings from a suspended chain (called Anderson Good-mornings or Anderson's) there is no eccentric portion of the lift (much like a deadlift) so the movement teaches you how to be explosive out-of-the-hole (attempting to fire as much muscle fiber as possible instantaneously). I also agree with Hannibal in that the first rep is always the most difficult. Once you break it from the chain or pins you can usually lock it out and get a few more reps.

A few tips for you. If you do good-mornings suspended from a chain then it is easier to get into position at the bottom. If you place the bar on the power rack's pins then it is more fixed and, therefore, more difficult to get into position. You can get a little "swing with the chain to get some momentum when the weight gets really heavy. I like to set the bar at about the navel level. The lower you set the bar the more difficult it becomes to move the weight.

You don't have to initiate the good-morning from the bottom position all of the time. There is nothing wrong with setting up just like a squat and perform both the eccentric and concentric portions of the lift. Just make sure you lower the weight slowly and under control. If you're lowering to the pins or chain then don't let it drop at the bottom. Set the bar onto the chain or pins lightly.

When the weight is relatively light you can lean far out past your toes and really hit the erectors hard but as the weight gets heavy the tendancy is to move those feet up under you so that you can use your hips, glutes and hams to assist in the lift. I try to be cognizant of where my foot placement is so that I can keep the movement as strict as possible for as long as possible. But, when the weight gets heavy I move my feet up under me and use the entire "rear chain" to move the weight. Many times on maximal attempts the movemnt looks more like a squat but as long as you are overloading those muscles then the exercise is affective. Mix it up often with bar heights, foot placement, bands, chains, etc... Good luck!

Screwball said:
You can get a little "swing with the chain to get some momentum when the weight gets really heavy. I like to set the bar at about the navel level. The lower you set the bar the more difficult it becomes to move the weight.

Swing with the chain to get some momentum??! I can't believe it....CHEATER CHEATER.

:lmao:

Our chain setup is right at waist level for me. Which is a bitch to get under...have to hold onto the rack and squat down before I set up. Maybe I should try the momentum thing.

Top Bottom