Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is Cardio Twice A Day Excessive For A Natural Bodybuilder???

Texas Ranger

Fellas, in your opinion, is cardio(Inclined Treadmill)when done twice a day excessive for a natural bodybuilder? I haven't started my bodyfat loss program, yet. I'm at 18-20% bodyfat and trying to get down to 7-8%. I'm starting out at 30 minutes 3 times a week in the AM on my off days and weight training 3 times a week. Just wanted to get some opinions... Also, how many of you do cardio on Leg day???

I think once a day cardio for 45 mins would be sufficient for your goals along with a change in diet. Even if you split up the sessions into 15 min increments. It seems twice a day would be excessive. I know when I biked 7 miles to the gym and 7 miles back, that cardio was slowing me down big time from making muscle gains, or even keeping what I had. Maybe do 45 mins 5 days a week, or everyday at the most, but I think the main thing will be keeping your diet clean and consistent and the body fat should drop. Though Im no expert on leaning out, but I did learn alot from my uncle who used to compete, when training with him. He competed at 200 shredded and got much bigger at 280 and 12% bf. If I ever decide to shed excess body fat those are the guidlines I would follow. Hope that helps!

if you are going to do 45 minutes, it would be more effective to do 20 minutes twice, as your metabolism is elevated for a while after you train, training twice keeps it elevated twice as long. That being said, I would not do it every day, and I would keep the weight training short, as it will be very easy to overtrain

Thanks alot for the input! How does this weight training & cardio progression sound? Back & Biceps(Monday), Chest, Delts & Triceps(Wednesday) & Legs(Friday) for 45-60 minutes each. Cardio on Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday starting out at 30 minutes a day. When the fatloss slows down, bump it up to 30 minutes 5 times a day(Tues, Th & Sat plus 2 sessions on Monday & Wednesday post-workout). When fatloss slows down again, bump it up to 45 minutes on Tues, Th & Sat plus 2 30 minute sessions on Monday & Wednesday post-workout). Does this sound Ok? Beast & Needsize, what's your opinion on doing cardio post-workout on Leg day? I've heard good and bad.

Texas Ranger said:
Thanks alot for the input! How does this weight training & cardio progression sound? Back & Biceps(Monday), Chest, Delts & Triceps(Wednesday) & Legs(Friday) for 45-60 minutes each. Cardio on Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday starting out at 30 minutes a day. When the fatloss slows down, bump it up to 30 minutes 5 times a day(Tues, Th & Sat plus 2 sessions on Monday & Wednesday post-workout). When fatloss slows down again, bump it up to 45 minutes on Tues, Th & Sat plus 2 30 minute sessions on Monday & Wednesday post-workout). Does this sound Ok? Beast & Needsize, what's your opinion on doing cardio post-workout on Leg day? I've heard good and bad.

No problem brother!! Is your main goal to lean out now? You also said youd bump it up to 30 mins 5 times a day, seems that was a typo. Thats alot of cardio! haha Im assuming you mean 30 mins 5X a week? If so, that sounds good. Id do that and see how it works out and if need be bump it up to 45 mins 5X a week. As for weight training, Id do it 5 days a week to keep the metabolism fast and prevent muscle wasting. Although Needsize is much more experienced in leaning out then me. I was skin and bones when I started lifting, so my goal has always been to gain and Im sure it will be for years to come. Eventually I may do some cutting if need be. Id do the cardio before training legs on leg day, but if you can still hit cardio after legs then go for it. Im usually torn up after most of my workouts. It doesnt matter aslong as you get it in. I used to cripple my legs and then bike back to my house 7 miles afterward, even after moving furniture all day. If you have the dedication youll get it in regardless. Hope that helps!!

WalkingBeast said:
No problem brother!! Is your main goal to lean out now? You also said youd bump it up to 30 mins 5 times a day, seems that was a typo. Thats alot of cardio! haha Im assuming you mean 30 mins 5X a week? If so, that sounds good. Id do that and see how it works out and if need be bump it up to 45 mins 5X a week. As for weight training, Id do it 5 days a week to keep the metabolism fast and prevent muscle wasting. Although Needsize is much more experienced in leaning out then me. I was skin and bones when I started lifting, so my goal has always been to gain and Im sure it will be for years to come. Eventually I may do some cutting if need be. Id do the cardio before training legs on leg day, but if you can still hit cardio after legs then go for it. Im usually torn up after most of my workouts. It doesnt matter aslong as you get it in. I used to cripple my legs and then bike back to my house 7 miles afterward, even after moving furniture all day. If you have the dedication youll get it in regardless. Hope that helps!!
WalkingBeast, thanks for replying! You said I should weight train 5 days a week. What training split do you recommend???

Texas Ranger said:
WalkingBeast, thanks for replying! You said I should weight train 5 days a week. What training split do you recommend???

Im glad to help brother!! Are you training for strength, size or cutting? I see your trying to lean out now, so Im guessing you just want to preserve muscle mass and shred up? Im on a 5 day split now myself, and I like this one alot:

Day 1:Back and Deadlifts
Day 2:Chest and Speed Bench
Day 3: Triceps and Biceps
Day 4: Legs
Day 5: Upper Chest and Shoulders

It gives me a good amount of rest between bodyparts. My rest days can alternate though, and end up anywhere I feel necessary. I try to take 2 rest days a week and sometimes it ends up being 3. Also my training sessions are rediculously high volume/high intensity compared to anything Ive ever seen posted, and last for hours. So the rest is often necessary so I dont tear something off the bone.:FRlol: :FRlol: You can switch those days around anyway you like though, and customize it to fit your training style better. Im doing alot of strength training and bodybuilding type training so I allow myself to get enough rest to be strong on my big compound days. If I was purely BBing it wouldnt matter nearly as much, Id be training solely for burn and soreness.So Id go lighter if need be and focus soley on the muscle being worked. I think something like this with 30 minute cardio sessions 5 days a week, even divided into 15 min or 20 min increments like Needsize suggested and a clean diet would get you to your goals. Hope that helps!

Are you getting ready for a show? If so, how far out are you? The first show I competed in, I did cardio twice a day but that was only because I started cutting too late. The last show I competed in, I didn't do cardio at all, but I had no room for cheating on my diet. I definitely feel like the less cardio you have to do, the better chance you will retain more muscle. If you have to do it, I would do what Needsize recommended. Split it up into to 20 minute sessions, first one as soon as you wake up.

Top Bottom