Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is Cardio Twice A Day Excessive For A Natural Bodybuilder???

onerepmaximum said:
Are you getting ready for a show? If so, how far out are you? The first show I competed in, I did cardio twice a day but that was only because I started cutting too late. The last show I competed in, I didn't do cardio at all, but I had no room for cheating on my diet. I definitely feel like the less cardio you have to do, the better chance you will retain more muscle. If you have to do it, I would do what Needsize recommended. Split it up into to 20 minute sessions, first one as soon as you wake up.

I was in the same boat, did most of my prep with no cardio as it was making me lose too much mass.
texasranger, the 3x a week training split isnt a bad idea as it gives you lots of rest time. I am currently doing 5 days a week, but only 2 at a time, then I take a rest day. Personally anything more than 2 days in a row for me, I get run down very fast, and you need to work hard to avoid overtraining on a calorie deficit.
Cardio after legs isnt a bad idea, a brisk walk on the treadmill will actually flush some lactic acid and you'll end up less sore. Doing it before though will seriously affect your strength for training legs, which will make maintaining quad mass much harder

onerepmaximum said:
Are you getting ready for a show? If so, how far out are you? The first show I competed in, I did cardio twice a day but that was only because I started cutting too late. The last show I competed in, I didn't do cardio at all, but I had no room for cheating on my diet. I definitely feel like the less cardio you have to do, the better chance you will retain more muscle. If you have to do it, I would do what Needsize recommended. Split it up into to 20 minute sessions, first one as soon as you wake up.
Onerep, actually I'm not competing. I'm looking to get back into shape after a 3 year layoff after watching my 3 year old daughter during the day. I'm up to 18-20% bodyfat right now and my goal is 7%.

needsize said:
I was in the same boat, did most of my prep with no cardio as it was making me lose too much mass.
texasranger, the 3x a week training split isnt a bad idea as it gives you lots of rest time. I am currently doing 5 days a week, but only 2 at a time, then I take a rest day. Personally anything more than 2 days in a row for me, I get run down very fast, and you need to work hard to avoid overtraining on a calorie deficit.
Cardio after legs isnt a bad idea, a brisk walk on the treadmill will actually flush some lactic acid and you'll end up less sore. Doing it before though will seriously affect your strength for training legs, which will make maintaining quad mass much harder
Needsize & Onerep, what's your current training split like now?

So bf% is your only concern here and not the weight limit of competing. Then I recommend HIT cardio done 2-3x a week. Sprinting or boxing done in the evening while weight done in the mid-afternoon. M/W/F for weight and maybe M/TH for cardio, that with a sound diet will shed the pounds IMO

Texas Ranger said:
Needsize & Onerep, what's your current training split like now?
I don't do cardio at all currently. I may when I get back from Mexico if I decide to compete at the end of July, but we'll see when that happens. I work out 5 times a week. I devote one day a week to legs, chest, back, arms and shoulders (not necessarily in that order). Diet is the key though. Get that in check things will start happening.

heres my current split
day 1 chest/calves
day 2 back/shoulders
day 3 rest
day 4 bis/tris/calves
day 5 quads/hams/abs
day 6 rest
day 7 I start back at day 1
I am not doing any cardio, but have dropped about 22lbs in the last 3 weeks just through diet

I know that splitting up cardio into chunks has a similar effect to doing it all at once. I say do whatever's convenient. But you probably don't need much if any cardio until you get down to single digit bodyfat.

I should add, all the accessory work like abs,rear delts, traps, forearms etc can be added anywhere you like. I usually train abs 4x a week for strength, with weighted movements and rear delts once to twice a week. Also I often take my 2 rest days one after the other now, after back day to be recovered for heavy chest work.

Hadn't thought about it, but Needsize's first post makes good sense....

Doing cardio first thing upon waking would jumpstart the ol' metabo....a second dose later or lifting would restart in evening....

no

your goal should be to lose 2 pounds of fat a week

if you are losing more then that you are losing muslce

adjust your cardio accordingly

Top Bottom