Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cardio question

JDid23

Hey guys... I was wondering if when you do one type of cardio, take biking for example, if it helps you with other types of cardio such as running.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but the thought popped up in my head while I was lifting and I was really curious

cross training definitely helps.
biking, swimming, and other cardio activities can help strengthen muscles, tendons, and ligaments that are not in use when you run, and vice versa. doing the same cardio all the time makes you use the same areas over and over, and could make you imbalanced and injury prone. sort of like always lifting weight for one bodypart but not any others.

Doing, for example, biking will benefit your cardiovascular health and it'll increase your general work capacity. It can decrease your resting heart rate and increase your VO2 max. All of which can help you in running or in other things.

That said, if you are trying to, for example, decrease your 5k time, the best way to do that is by running. Biking wouldn't help you much there, unless you are more toward the beginner end of the spectrum. Generally, the more advanced the athlete, the more specific the training must be to elicit performance gains.

i was curious of the same thing. after some research and q&a i decided on alternating cardio into 'cardio a' and 'cardio b' format. i workout every other day, and in between each lifting day ill alternate from a long slow run upto an hour in length to a much higher paced run for as long as i can go.... sometimes hiit but i havent done that in a while

cross training definitely helps.
biking, swimming, and other cardio activities can help strengthen muscles, tendons, and ligaments that are not in use when you run, and vice versa. doing the same cardio all the time makes you use the same areas over and over, and could make you imbalanced and injury prone. sort of like always lifting weight for one bodypart but not any others.

sorry, but this doesn't seem to make sense to me... Am i correct to think you're saying that if i focus only on running and neglect other types of cardiovascular activity that i'm going to increase my likelihood of getting injured? If someone neglects any sort shoulder training and continues heavy chest training, that increases their likelihood of getting injured. However, i've never heard of a swimmer increasing his chances of getting injured because of not running (and vise versa)

that makes sense cato.. thanks

gladiator... i agree.. but mainly i'm wondering if someone who is an avid biker for 6 months can jump into running and be good at it.

That's because elite swimmers don't run at elite levels.. I think if you run competitively then yeah try cycling competitively and you will fall short..

At a level to keep fit.. Injuries not that much of an issue if you only do one type then switch it up, as you won't reach the intensities of an elite athlete

i think u should be fine to switch over as long as you arent an athelete. u will still be developing ur lungs and cardio ability. take a little bit of time to get ur leg ued to it but overall your fitness level from biking would go up

sorry, but this doesn't seem to make sense to me... Am i correct to think you're saying that if i focus only on running and neglect other types of cardiovascular activity that i'm going to increase my likelihood of getting injured?

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Don't take my word for it though:

Cross-Train Without Injury From Runner's World.com

Cross-Training Tips for Runners at Runner's World

Cross Training for Runners - AIM Health Group

Pete Pfitzinger - Lab Reports - Cross-Training to Prevent Injury and Improve Technique

Cross Train to Help Prevent Running Injuries! | Nimble Fitness: New York City Personal Trainer

Top Bottom