Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

cardio & weights

tay1506

This might be impossible to answer, but i was wondering if u are trying to gain strength and loose fat if it is better to run and work out or just work out. So if i dropped my calorie intake from 2500 to 2100 while on a diet should i run still or not to try and gain strength or should i just leave it at 2500 and just run and burn 400 cal.? I know u really shouldent run or not run for more than 30 min. and keep your bpm below 140 when trying to gain strenth, but would running to loose weight be better than cutting calories to loose weight or both?

First of all, gaining a good deal of strength and losing fat at the same time is a hard goal to accomplish. Just a fair warning. However, it can be done. Look into timed carb diets/calorie and carb cycling diets(same thing really). Also, IMO one should always do some form of cardio. Its important to work your most vital muscle, your heart.

I guess this really doesnt answer your question of whether or not to drop calories or do more carido for your goal....

i'd say... on the workout front, u could do plenty of sprints rather then slow cardio. if u can get to a track then do some sprints with small gaps in between till your really winded and then some more. if u cant get to a track, then u'll have to do it on the treadmill. do that after each workout (weights). i suggest this because.... how many sprinters have u seen who are not ripped. agreed, they are also on AAS but even then, i'd say the nature of their training would make them pretty ripped anyway.

No matter if bulking or cutting - lift hard and heavy. This will build strength (if bulking) and help you lose less strength (if cutting). Keep running, as well, but don't substitute it for lifting or you'll lose the gains you've made.

tay1506 said:
This might be impossible to answer, but i was wondering if u are trying to gain strength and loose fat if it is better to run and work out or just work out. So if i dropped my calorie intake from 2500 to 2100 while on a diet should i run still or not to try and gain strength or should i just leave it at 2500 and just run and burn 400 cal.? I know u really shouldent run or not run for more than 30 min. and keep your bpm below 140 when trying to gain strenth, but would running to loose weight be better than cutting calories to loose weight or both?

Fat loss starts with diet.

1 - How much do you weigh?
2 - How often do you weight train?
3 - How often do you plan to run?

Generally speaking it's better not to have a massive drop in calories off the bat - I mean where do you go from there when you stop seeing results?

You don't neccesarily have to start a cutting diet, running and weight training all at the same time and by that I mean you could start with the diet and the weight training and then start with the running after you start to see a slow down in your fat loss.

I'm fond of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) 20-30 min tops 3 days a weeks for cardio.

velvett said:
Fat loss starts with diet.

You don't neccesarily have to start a cutting diet, running and weight training all at the same time and by that I mean you could start with the diet and the weight training and then start with the running after you start to see a slow down in your fat loss.

I'm fond of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) 20-30 min tops 3 days a weeks for cardio.
I totally 100% agree wtih this - don't pull all the tricks out of the hat at once.
I actually managed to lose fat and maintain bodyweight at the same time w/out gear or cardio. It's slowed recently and I'm adding cardio now (along with AAS :p). But you can definitely gain strength while losing fat - there's lots of nueral adaptations that your body will make, especially if you are somewhat new to lifting.

Bump to what Guinness said about gaining strength (not muscle mass, as some previous posters seem to have interpreted it) being quite possible while hypocaloric, especially if you're new to lifting. Regarding your original question, you'll get superior nutrient partitioning with cardio (especially HIIT) + higher calories than with lower calories alone.

ok well heres me i weight 150 - 155 (depends on water i drink 3 gallons a day) and im at 12% bf and i want to get to about 5% (about 140 - 145lbs.). Im 5'7" and i bench 260 and squat about 260 to let u know how big i am.

Right now I do cardio about 45 min mon., wed., & Fri., and i lift about 2 hours a day mon - saturday. I think my maintenance level is about 2400 - 2500 cal. and i was going to cut and drop it to 2100. However i was still wondering if it is better to burn 400 calories in running or in eating less which will promote more fat loss while still gaining strength and i expect to be putting on around .25 lbs. of muscle weekly while loosing 1lb. of fat? Oh yeah and i know about eating enough protein and everything ill be eating 200 calories of protein and taking in 15% fat while dieting so the rest is carbs.

Cynical Simian said:
Regarding your original question, you'll get superior nutrient partitioning with cardio (especially HIIT) + higher calories than with lower calories alone.

tay1506 said:
However i was still wondering if it is better to burn 400 calories in running or in eating less which will promote more fat loss while still gaining strength

Um, unless you have an odd definition of "better", your question has been answered.

Top Bottom