Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cardio after weight lifting

What should I do? I ask this because I'm in a position right now in which I cannot run due to an injury.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using EliteFitness

Why do you need to run?

Most of the workouts that kicked my ass in terms of endurance had no running at all in them.

Can you do bodyweight squats? pullups? pushups? situps? Head over to the crossfit site and look at some of their workouts without running. I gaurantee any of those little 5-15 minute ass kickers will burn many times more calories than your wasted hour of steady state cardio due to EPOC.

if you want to build mass you need to cut down on your cardio of course. go to a 5K and look at what runners look like, there is a reason for that.

I don't want to build any more mass. I'm getting way more women the way I look now. I don't want to be big ever again. Those days are long gone for me. I rather look "muscular" and leaned out, like a god, not like a gorilla.

You want to preserve muscle at the very least. Adress it with nutrition timing before and after training. I like to get something out of cardio more than just burning calories. Introducing complex jump rope skills will build agility and speed on your feet and good reflex action. Mix up some high knee running on the spot crossovers with double unders etc. Even if you mess up on the rope your heart rate is up and over time you jumping becomes a high intensity routine.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using EliteFitness

I don't want to build any more mass. I'm getting way more women the way I look now. I don't want to be big ever again. Those days are long gone for me. I rather look "muscular" and leaned out, like a god, not like a gorilla.

hell then keep doing what you are doing.

you are pretty much doing 2 hours of training and I salute you

I've done cardio both before and after training and haven't noticed much difference. Personally, I like doing my cardio first thing in the morning and doing weight training later in the day. I do a bit of cardio every day but to be honest don't really like it so have come to terms with the fact that I don't really like it after weight training. I love weight training so much I hate to end it with an activity that I don't really like. I like to leave the gym with the high I get from lifting weights :)

Also, I don't necessary agree with everyone saying steady state cardio is a waste. I do think though that lots of people don't put enough effort into it. I see people walking on treadmills, or going so slow on the elliptical that they can easily chat with their friend next to them. I do a bit of steady state cardio every day but go as hard as I can for the time that I have allotted. I could not possibly have a conversation and after 30 minutes seriously look like I just got out of the shower. I find this very effective.

I do a bit of steady state cardio every day but go as hard as I can for the time that I have allotted. I could not possibly have a conversation and after 30 minutes seriously look like I just got out of the shower. I find this very effective.

Very effective at what?

Steady state cardio serves the purpose, if done intensely, to improve that modes energy pathway. Yes it also burns calories BUT not as effectivly as other shorter forms of "cardio".

One has to ask themselves "Why am I doing cardio?", whats the purpose? Then plan and perform cardio to serve that purpose.

If you want to improve your 1-5 mile times, sure get on a treadmill or run 5 miles. But aside from marginally helping your 5 mile times its NOT the most effective way to burn calories and I would argue that steady state alone is also NOT the best way to improve your 5 mile times.

If you want to train for all around cardio endurance the occasional steady state cardio has its place but if your goal is improving overall cardio then you wouldnt just do only 30-60 minute steady state cardio.

The biggest problem people have is they dont train with a purpose or goal in mind which means the methods they use are generally inefficient because they arent goal oriented.

In the case of the OP, burning calories seemed to be his goal and with that goal in mind an hour of steady state cardio is NOT the most efficient way to get the job done.

At the end of the day if people want to continually wade in a sea of mediocrity thats fine, its their life. I love training but I have a life. I want to get the most out of the least amount of time training.

I am in my later 40's and want to keep my cardio health up. I have already done the things on my bucketlist like running many many 5K's, a few 10K's and a 20K. I will sit around for a half an hour after waking anyway so decide to spend that time on my machine sweating.

30 minutes is nothing out of my day. I usually do 15 min HIIT and 15 min steady state first thing in the morning, 7 days a week. I do this both for general health purposes and do make my diet a little easier (I tend to burn about 650 calories in that half hour which gives me a bit more flexibility in my diet).

In terms of mediocrity - I am very happy with my fitness level and overall physique and judging by the reaction I get from people around me both in and out of the gym I am anything but mediocre.

I am in my later 40's and want to keep my cardio health up. I have already done the things on my bucketlist like running many many 5K's, a few 10K's and a 20K. I will sit around for a half an hour after waking anyway so decide to spend that time on my machine sweating.

30 minutes is nothing out of my day. I usually do 15 min HIIT and 15 min steady state first thing in the morning, 7 days a week. I do this both for general health purposes and do make my diet a little easier (I tend to burn about 650 calories in that half hour which gives me a bit more flexibility in my diet).

In terms of mediocrity - I am very happy with my fitness level and overall physique and judging by the reaction I get from people around me both in and out of the gym I am anything but mediocre.

Im in late 40's as well. 30 minutes isnt a huge deal but the ops trudges along for 60 minutes a day to burn what 260 calories? Whats the purpose? Whats the goal? There is virtually no benefit from day in and day out steady state, slow trudge cardio beyond burning that 260 calories.

Your 15 minutes of HIIT is all you really need based on your above comments, that 15 minute steady state likely isnt doing anything for you but burning about 60 calories. YOU have a goal and are doing cardio to meet your goal, although I think you could cut out the steady state part.

Your equating your 15 minutes HIIT and 15 minutes high output to the ops slow steady state and its not even close to the same thing. What you are doing and what the op is doing isnt even comparable.

The op is complaining about the need to burn calories but then using a time consuming poor method to do so. He could burn a lot more calories in a fraction of the time AND at the same time improve VO2 max even without running.

My "attack" is not on your goal oriented approach its on your comment that steady state cardio is "very effective" because its not, not when I can burn 2-6 times more calories AND improve endurance in less than 15 minutes.

Top Bottom