Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can you powerlift without doing overhead presses?

plifter

Banned
I've got two bad rotator cuffs. I've had surgery for one but the problem came back. That makes me hesitate to get the other shoulder operated on. Basically, I cannot do any type of overhead presses for bench assistance. I can do side raises and upright rows if my delts are really warmed up first. I can't even do incline presses. Is there anyone else that's built a good bench without heavy delt assistance work?

My bench has increased since I stopped OH pressing, (485lbs raw, at 230lbs BW).

My reason was that I could not fit them into my training schedual, so I dropped them for a while, and I have gotten stronger on the bench, and when I have tried OH pressing again, I have not really lost any strength (120lb DB's for 6-8 full strict reps each one touching my outside delt, then to full lockout), I think you will do just fine without them.

Nytol2 said:
I think you will do just fine without them.

Thanks. That's good to hear because I'm starting to think that I will never be able to press overhead again without pain. I can do lateral raises and front raises with dumbells. That's what my entire shoulder workout consists of right now. I can flat bench without too much discomfort. My anterior delts should get a bit of stimulation from the bench presses and dumbell presses.

It sucks when you get older and your body starts suffering injuries. That's life I guess.

I blew both of my rotator cuffs simultaneously several years ago. I had surgery but still have some pain and partially limited use. However, I firmly believe that we do what we want to do and find excuses not to do what we don't want to do. I had to modify my training - after missing 18 months - and have come back strong enough to win National and World level events.

I do not lift westside but the rotator cuff regimen by westside has really helped my range of motion and stabilized my shoulder. I also do heavy rear shoulder work to help stabilize the joint. One exercise I found that helps build the anterior and medial delts is partial overhead reps with dumbbells. I do these with a neutral grip and only raise the weight to ear level. It allows me to work the delts without aggravating my shoulders.

Hope this helps.

i never do OH presses- i can't, because of my back and shoulder issues. my bench has improved.

I don't do them either. Hurts too bad and always lead to an injury. I have benched 500 w/ shirt.

I have a machine that is pretty close to an overhead press that I can use, but I go super light.

Shoulder work is from bench work, incline dumbbells, laterals, rear laterals, etc....

I think most people overtrain their shoulders anyway...

Top Bottom