Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

can dumbbell flys hurt your shoulder?

asirb 2

Hey bros,

When I joined this new gym they made me take an introductory personal trainer session, and the personal trainer told me that he recommend I stay away from dumbbell flys, this movement increase the risk of hurting a shoulder, what are you thoughts? This dude stupid?
thank you.

Dumbbell flys do put a lot of stress on the front deltoid head but they are a perfectly safe movement to perform if you are using proper form and sensible weight.

Saying not to do dumbbell flys because they put stress on your shoulders is like saying don't do skull crushers because they put stress on your elbows. Any exercise is going to put some stress on your lever joint it acts upon. That doesn't mean you don't do the exercise, it just means you have to warm up properly, use proper form and not ego lift.

you should always turn down those free trials, because now the PT will message you non stop and pressure you for another one

as for his advice, i agree with musky. yes it puts pressure on the area, but every lift puts pressure on something lol .. maybe he personally has particular problems with that movement himself, so he projects it on someone else.

Flyes are a great exercise but proper weight and form are essential. They can definitely put stress on shoulders so try them and if you are having issues work on form. If you still run into problems then just drop the exercise so you don't risk injury.

Top Bottom