Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can Deadlifts Cause Slight Lordosis - Butt Sticking Out?

mudrubble

Hi Guys,

I've usually done bodyweight exercises until about 5 months ago when my recurring back pains took a turn and I developed sciatica and had to stop all exercise. I saw an MD, a chiro, a physio, and an acupunturist, and got maybe 20% better over 4 or 5 months.

Frustrated, I decided to take matters into my own hands and start weightlifting once my x-rays came back showing nothing wrong with my actual spine.

And it's been awesome, my sciatica is totally gone, back pains are down to a fraction of what they were, mostly thanks to deadlifts and back extensions, and maybe squats.

But here's where it gets strange. I find the strengthening of my lower back from deadlifts is now pulling my butt back, so that it sticks out somewhat like a gorilla's. It is also causing my belly to stick out, and I don't mean fat, I mean the whole belly, muscles and all, are sticking out and my butt is also sticking out in the other direction.

I can make constant corrections when I stand, but it seems that my lower back is strong enough that I find myself standing with my butt out once again.

I've NEVER had this problem in 37 years and it's only developed in the last 2 months since starting my weight training program.

Any advice? I want to pull my abs (my spine really, I can see the arch starts there) back in and put my ass back under my spine again.

I do a 10 minute ab routine consisting of 7 bodyweight exercises performed in a supeset, twice - and I do this every day I lift (3 x per week), so I really don't think my abs are weak at all. I can hang and point my toes up to the ceiling, even with a wall against my back, so I really don't think my abs are weak.

Any help?

Thanks

The short answer to your question is that deadlifts won't "cause" excessive lordosis, but it's possible to develop that condition with a poor or imbalanced exercise selection which includes them.

The issue you are describing is usually the result of a strength and/or flexibility imbalance between two groups of muscles: 1. lower back and/or hip flexors and 2. abs and/or glutes.

Without knowing much about you, my first guess would be that you have strong/tight hipflexors and weak abs, despite your claims above. You might feel like your abs are strong because you can superset a lot of bodyweight exercises but that has less to do with strength and more to do with endurance. A lot of things people think of as being "abs exercises" actually has more to do with your hip flexors.

Here's two articles discussing your issue (excessive lordosis/anterior pelvis tilt):

T NATION | Hips Don't Lie: Fixing Your Force Couples
T NATION | Neanderthal No More - Part 1

also even though you may be doing heavy "ab" exercises often those are much more hip flexor exercises, leading to an even further imbalance

Top Bottom