Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can anyone suggest me a "5x5" split for bodybuilding?

hereforadvice

Hi all,

I'm 23 6' 185lbs around 10% bf. Best lift is deadlift 440lbs, once did 400lbs full squat in my weightlifting peak days but this bodybuilding stuff has ruined my leg strength probably because of the high volume low frequency (once a week VS 4 times a week during weightlifting) Bench sucks, i'm doing it with 60kg the "bodybuilding way" (slow motions "pec contraction")

Did about 5 years of olympic style weightlifting which gave me solid leg and back strength

Quit because of several reasons and switched to bodybuilding one year ago.

I joined a buddy who does the typical 4 days a week seemingly overkill in volume, and too low frequency typical bodybuilding routine

I expected to gain less strength on this than my weightlifting stuff but at least some and a lot of size

Well I pretty much decreased in strength and look the same

I think this stuff doesn't work unless ur chemically enhanced or genetically gifted

So I heard about 5x5 is supposed to be effective for people who are natural and want to get big and strong

I'm not a powerlifter tho and wish to have an alround developped physique, not the dreaded "t rex" look people supposedly get from programs such as starting strength

Can anyone draw out a routine for me?

Maximum strength by eric cressy, u lift lower body twice and upper body twice a week, but its much more than that. Gives periodization training where for month 1 you will go high intensity 1st week, medium intensity second week, extremely high intensity 3rd week, then 4th week is low intensity, then the next month you switch the workouts up with the same mentality of the weeks. By intensity i mean number of sets/reps for each week. You pretty much go to a type of almost overtrain on the 3rd week, then u heal the 4th week, and start over the next month. Cheap as hell on amazon. Really good for gaining strength, and getting your personal bests up. Check it out.

sounds like Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 will be good for you... It revolves around bringing up your big 4 (squat, dl, bench, military) and gives you A LOT of freedom in your assistance exercises. It's definitely worth a look at.

I did my own crappy made up routine yesterday (because i couldn't just wait untill i figured it all out)

Did 3 sets of 5 with 300lbs in squat today

3x10 200lbs stiff leg deadlift

3x5 176lbs bench press

3x5 176lbs barbell row

3x12 standing calf raise

12 pull ups for the entertainment

here are some pics to give u a general idea of my development. I have bad genetics for an aesthetic physique because of my wide waist, narrow shoulders, bad calves, weird abs and weak pecs. But hopefully I can get big and strong

dsc01744ke.jpg

dsc01750ug.jpg

go to the 'training vault' sticky above... do the 5x5...
you will not get t-rex arms, that is a load of crap...
get good at it and EAT CLEAN and EAT A LOT and you will have a world class physique pending your genetics...

So am I a beginner or intermediate? I read beginner workouts are harder and work faster?

I'm sure that a beginner wouldn't realize that he is insulting the advanced with statements like most of your entire first post.

If you are considering how to not get too big...don't worry. You can do any program and not get too big. I've been trying to get TOO BIG for nearly 2 decades and haven't accomplished it yet...and I've taken extreme measures.

Just do the normal 5x5, or any heavy basic routine, for about 10 years till you are dumb dumb strong and then diet for 4 months and add in a set of curls a time or two a week.

UPDATE:

Hi guys, I've taken your advice to heart and started the MadCow intermediate routine. The only thing I misinterpreted was the 4 week intro phase. I started with my real maxes right away at week 1. It hasn't been a real problem tho, I've made good progress

On monday 17 january I started

5x150kg squat
5x90kg bench
5x80kg row

fast forward a month to monday 14 february

5x160kg squat
5x97.5kg bench
5x80kg row

so the only thing which hasn't increased is the row, but i think it's because my form has gotten a lot sticter

thanks again for pointing me to this wonderful program

if you're thinking my squat is not deep enough because it's so high compared to my bench, it's not, I do high bar,to parallel, slightly break parallel, i dont go deeper because of "buttwink issues". my squat is quite decent because i used to do a lot of olympic style weightlifting.

Top Bottom