Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Calf Training

bommakr

Gents,

One lagging body part that i know some of us constantly want to bring up are the Calves. some say it can be dne easily others say its genetics and if you don't have them, you'll never get'em. I've been lifting for 10 years and have great definition but not the size i want. Any advice, routines, pictures, recommendations, splits, etc. etc. etc. would be awesome.

BMK

Gents,

One lagging body part that i know some of us constantly want to bring up are the Calves. some say it can be dne easily others say its genetics and if you don't have them, you'll never get'em. I've been lifting for 10 years and have great definition but not the size i want. Any advice, routines, pictures, recommendations, splits, etc. etc. etc. would be awesome.

BMK

You are standing on your caves all day, so you cant hit calves with high weights and just once a week.
Secondly calves like abs need lot off time under tension.Calves are slow twitch fibre and again they need time under tension.

Try

10 reps and 10 sec rest
20 reps and 20 sec rest
followed 30 reps and 30 sec rest
and 40 reps and 40 rest...last not least
50 reps and 50 sec rest -:)

Don't forget full range off motion and squeeze hard on the concentric....enjoy the pain

Nelson Montana calf routine:

Pick only one calve exercise. (I prefer the seated calve raise.) Your goal will be to
reach 75 reps.
Use a weight that you would normally choose for a twenty rep set.
Complete the 20 reps and continue until you can't do another rep.
Rest just long enough for the burning to subside (no longer than 10 seconds) and
continue with as many reps as possible, even if it's only 5 reps at a time.
Proceed in this fashion until you reach the target goal of 75.
That's it! Total time? Under 4 minutes. Granted, it's a very painful four minutes,
but four minutes nonetheless.

Most of it is genetics I think but a guy on here told me to go run in the soft sand on the beach and it did build my calves. I live near the beach so not a problem for me but you might be able to come up with something like that. Think it worked because the sand was uneven and you sink in to a point. Other than that reps and more reps with little rest in between is the way I would go.

Nelson Montana calf routine:

Pick only one calve exercise. (I prefer the seated calve raise.) .

Those are very hard on your knees I wouldn't do them. Use a smith machine with a block under your feet and lock your back out straight up, much safer. In fact the only thing I use a smith machine for.

How is seated calf raise hard on your knees?

How is seated calf raise hard on your knees?

Shear force on your knees. You do mean one of those machines where you sit on a seat and all the weight is on your lower thigh right before your knee cap???? If you have three, four plates on there that's a lot of force pushing down on the knee joint. There are other safer ways to do calf raises.

Shear force on your knees. You do mean one of those machines where you sit on a seat and all the weight is on your lower thigh right before your knee cap???? If you have three, four plates on there that's a lot of force pushing down on the knee joint. There are other safer ways to do calf raises.

Pick only one calve exercise. (I prefer the seated calve raise.) Your goal will be to
reach 75 reps.
Use a weight that you would normally choose for a twenty rep set.
Complete the 20 reps and continue until you can't do another rep.
Rest just long enough for the burning to subside (no longer than 10 seconds) and
continue with as many reps as possible, even if it's only 5 reps at a time.
Proceed in this fashion until you reach the target goal of 75.
That's it! Total time? Under 4 minutes. Granted, it's a very painful four minutes,
but four minutes nonetheless.

Dude I can do 3 or 4 plates for 20 reps. In fact I can do more, calf raises are easy even a newbie should be getting into heavy weights pretty fast. On a standing calf raise I do 6 plates for reps.

Don't listen you'll find out 10 years down the road when your knees and shoulders are shot.

I do think a lot of it is genetics. I used to do direct calf work and had some pretty impressive and strong calves. However, I have not done any direct calf work now in years and they are my bodypart most commented on.

Top Bottom