Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bye-bye BBing BS: Journal of my 5x5 a la madcow2

Week 7

WEDNESDAY

DL 3x3: 405
Military: 195x 2.5, 190x3, 190x2.5
Pullups 3x3: BW+45
needsize's ab routine

Comments:

-DL's were great. This is so much further along than I though I'd be at this point.

-I should have started w/ 190 for military. Probably would've gotten all of 'em

-A competitive powerlifter joined the gym yesterday and I spoke with him for a while. Good numbers- 900 lb squat, upper 600's bench, but his DL is his weakness at "only" mid 700's. He said his best total at a meet was about 2300 lbs. (I forgot the exact #). It was at teh Arnold two years ago I think. Definitely a good resource for me!

Last edited:
Week 7

FRIDAY

Squat 1x3: 395
Bench 3x3: 300
Row 3x3: 285

Comments:

-For squats my progression went 135x12, 225x? (just did a few, not really counting), 315x5, 335x3, 365x3 w/ wraps/belt, then 395x3 w/ wraps/belt. Figured it's worth mentioning since I was using equipment. I was adament not to lean forward AT ALL today and I got stuck for a split second on the last rep but stayed upright beautifully, so that's progress in my book. I may go for 405 next week. We'll see. It would sure be a milestone (there's something that gets me excited about 4 plates) and would be coming earlier than anticipated.

-I'm finally 100% confident in my squat depth. I'm not sure if I can describe the feeling just right, but I really don't try to slow myself at the bottom at all. I lower at a controlled pace and when I stop, I stop. It is certainly not deloading- there is definitley some stretch reflex going on.

-I still have too much weight on the balls of my feet. Since I feel that I'm in no danger of falling I'm going to proceed in this manner through this 5x5 cycle and make form priority number one next time around.

-I'm glad I sucked it up and used 2.5's on bench. The weight was perfect.

-Rows are moving up my list of favorite exercises. No one even approaches rows like these (meaning ~parallel and heavy) at this gym. The hammer strength machines get lots of use though...

-I've gotta take some pics. I'm looking like a brick shithouse and getting comments left and right.

I have always been intrigued by this but never had the guts to try it. I guess I'm just too set in my BBing ways.

I did try HIT for a while, but after a few month it grew pretty stale.

Anyone NOt have good results from 5x5?

I'm also afraid of injury. Seems alot of times when I go below 6-8 reps I tend to hurt something. I know it's not like you first set you can only do 5 reps, but use a weight you can do 5 sets for 5, but it's still got me a little in disbelief.

I guess I shoul just shut up and give it a try :)

hardrock said:
I'm also afraid of injury. Seems alot of times when I go below 6-8 reps I tend to hurt something. I know it's not like you first set you can only do 5 reps, but use a weight you can do 5 sets for 5, but it's still got me a little in disbelief.

I guess I shoul just shut up and give it a try :)
The nice thing is that you ease into it. The first week really isn't that tough weight-wise, and the second wasn't tough (for me) either. You ramp up and the hard part comes a bit later. But, if you have a weak link it may show up. My old knee injury resurfaced slightly but seems to be fine now.

Week 8

MONDAY

Squat 3x3: 385
Bench 1x3: 315x1, x7/8, x5/8 :)
Row 1x3: 295
stabilty ball crunches w/ 25 lb plate (3 sets ~20 each)
bb curls: 110x9, x8

Comments:

-Squats were pretty easy. May go to 405 next week. Depends on a couple variables yet to be decided. Took another video of squats. Nice part about working at a gym- the person taping it was the hottest milf I've ever seen in person. She's 40 and looks like a fitness model (kinda buff but definitely not too much, fake boobs, etc). I think it helped with motivation :)

-Got greedy on bench. I was sure I'd get it too. The spotter just barely touched it on the second rep (it had stopped moving entirely so it wasn't his fault) and I went for one more. He said he didn't help much on either. He only had his fingertips on it so it couldn't have been that much but I'm still disappointed. I shoulda just racked it.

-Rows were good. There was just a bit of a hitch on the last one but still... 295 is a lot for strict parallel bb rows so I'm happy

-Today's BB curls illustrated how much of this is mental. We have preloaded curl bars up to 110 pounds. I thought I grabbed the 100 pounder, which is what I've been using lately, but I unwittingly grabbed the 110. I used it and thought it was easy so I went to grab the 110, saw the 100 and realized I was already using the 110.

-Now for the variables- I think I should go for the 2x weekly setup from here on out. My low back is not going to like me if I hammer him with 415 on dl for 3x3 in two days. I can only imagine what this would be like if I actually had a big dl. I don't think 5x5 will be an option for more than one more go-round if strength improves like it has this time around. But that's a good thing :) Then again, if my ever-improving core strength keeps my spine in tact, maybe some of this burden will be lifted. We'll see...

Week 8

WEDNESDAY

DL 3x3: 415
Standing military 3x3: 195
Pullups ( I've been calling them chins but I mean palms out and shoulder width) 3x3: BW +40

Comments:

-Dl's were tough. It didn't help that one of the bolts that hold the sleeves on the bar was backed out and one side was about 2 inches further out than the other :rolleyes: I found that after my second set. Couldn't figure out why the left side felt heavier. Damn.

-I almost went for 190 on military but I felt good so I went for 195. Grueling but I got it.

-I am DEFINITELY going to spread next week out. I felt good before I hit the gym but once I got into dl's I realized the extra day probably would have done me some good. Oh yeah and I weigh in next week. I honestly don't think I've gained much mass, but my abs are more visible. By that I mean in the right light if I lean back enough you can tell there's something under the squishy stuff. My lats have certainly improved and my legs are huge. I should have taken pics I guess, but the goal was/is strength improvement and that has certainly been achieved.

I'd like to do a true test of my 1rm to test my strength in DL, bench and squat after week 9. How should I go about this? I was thinking a deload period and then just go for it. What would be a good guideline to follow?

Top Bottom