Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Buy a Bench or get a gym membership?

madhops22

Have a question for all of you!
I need some advice...I have some free weights at home and have been working out for about a month, but I can't do anything to work my chest except push-ups. Should I buy a bench ($300 canadian) or get a gym membership (600 canadian)?
Here's the thing - my hours at work are kinda wierd, I work every day from 1pm to 10pm and I'm a night owl so I get most of my stuff done at night (working out included). This is why I like working out at home. I tend to be quite tired in the morning and groggy, so getting up and working out at 10am might be a bit of a pain in the butt.
Anyways, give me your feedback and tell me what you think (bench or gym membership).
I'm interested in what you all think.

Thanks for your help!

Madhops

You have a lot more equiptment to play with in a gym, but if all you are going there for is to bench press, then you might as well save $300 and get the home gym.

Here's my workout routine

I don't only want to workout my chest! :)
I'm saying that I have free weights (dumbells and a curl bar) and have been able to work out alright so far except for my chest. Obviously I can't Squat large weight or bench 200 at home with free weights, but it would be a heck of a lot more convenient for me. The closest gym is 15 mins via transit for me, and I would only be able to go in the morning (which is not a good time for me...as I'm not a morning person).
So, the main question is...will I be better off just getting the gym membership or will I be fine getting a bench and sticking to the free weights at home?
Here's my workout routine so far:
For biceps - Standing curls/hammer curls/reverse curls using curl bar
For Triceps - Reverse dips on a chair/overhead(behind the back) raises.
Chest - push-ups
Abs - lots of different crunches
Legs - squats and lunges/jump rope for calves
Back - deadlifts/standing rows
Shoulders - leteral raises/shrugs/seated press

thanks!
Madhops

I train at home. My squat rack is a pair of 55 gallon drums. They work great.

You can build a bench out of wood for less than twenty bucks...and a squat rack for about twice that much. Easily.

B True

I say get the membership at the gym. there you will see what exercises you like and what equipment you need in order to perform these exercises. when your contract is over, you can get the equipment you want.

if I had the space, I'd get a flat bench that can incline and decline, a power rack, pull up/dip station, free weights, and a cable fly station that has movable pulleys.

I am back to lifting at home now. I have a lot more equipment than the average person, but I still would prefer my home workouts even if I only had the basics. If you have a little money and some space, I'd go with the home gym.

I worked out for YEARS in my basement with much success but you can't beat having access to all that nice equipment and the occasional spot. If the time thing works out for you I would join a gym

bbuniv1.jpg

Top Bottom