Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is this Bull or is it the Rule?

patro

I found the following quote online, and I'd like you guys who have been lifting for a long time to tell me: Would you agree with this??

"I have read many times over the years so called experts claiming that a person can workout the same bodypart if there still exists mild soreness. Pure BULL! If your muscles are still sore, then you need more rest - period. I laugh at the 72 hour rule too. Heck, I am just starting to get really sore at the 72 hour mark after my workouts! I have found that the older you get and the longer you have been working out, the longer it takes for recovery. How long? Well, for legs, I work them once every week and I have found that sometimes that is too much! Lower back? I only do direct lower back work every two weeks! When I started deadlifting every other week, I finally reached my goal of a triple bodyweight deadlift. Biceps are about 4-5 days rest for me. I know some advanced bodybuilders who are only working each bodypart once every 10 days with good gains! If it comes time for your workout and you are still sore, even after 6 days rest, take another day! If you workout when you are sore, you are just begging for an injury and your progress is going to grind to a halt."

-Patro

------------------
EVERYBODY HAS THEIR OWN AGENDA

I would agree for the most part. I only train each bodypart once per week. I think if you really get intense and hit the muscle group hard once per week, anything more than that could be overtraining. I don't really feel the intense soreness until around 2 days after I train a muscle group. It really depends on your goals. Someone who lifts heavy, low rep, to failure, would need 7 to 10 days to recover. Someone who trains light with tons of reps may be able to get away with training each muscle twice weekly.

Really good question, should spark some good debate!

------------------
One Rep Past Death...

Definately true and yes my recovery was quicker when I was younger. Now I tend to train a bodypart every 5-7 days. When I was younger I could manage twice a week. So I guess when get older it will slow even further. (currently 28)

i don't believe in training a muscle if it is sore, you sare wasting your time. regardless of your agent and ability to recover, get plenty of rest and take in plenty of protein.

if you are sore, rest. Do less only better.

my $.02

------------------
31494786.jpg

We cover the World's STRONGEST Sports!
PowerMag™ Magazine

I agree with that online quote. If you train when that muscle is still sore, then CLEARLY it has not recovered yet and training it before it has recovered wont do anything but impede progress. The older you get, the longer it takes to recover because hormones such as GH and Testosterone begin to decline. Its true also that the deadlift doesn't need to be performed once a week to acheive a personal best, as you can see with many weightlifters that do this only once every 10 days or so.

Top Bottom