Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

BP technique

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
Your help will be greatly appreciated here :)

Anthrax said:
Your help will be greatly appreciated here :)

Hey - I went over there to read your full post and yes...beast and bignate gave great replies: "...ass needs to stay on the bench or the lift ain't no good" and "...putting your feet up on the bench is like taking the wheels off a cannon."

I think both of those statements pretty much sum up the ass off the bench statement.

As far as the arch during the bench, most do. I should say, most I have seen do - its the distance of the weight less traveled when you are arching up to meet it. If the weight is coming down to around your sternum then that is most likely the highest point of the arch, hence the degree of distance is lessened. I have seen some flat back lifters such as WSB's Mike Brown (teenage) benching 700 with a flat back and feet on the floor out in front of him - impressive, but not the norm I think.

I would just work on keeping your butt on the bench because if you ever decided to compete in a PL meet, they'd call you on it. Maybe working on some of the strengthening exercises for the core and low back as well as working on the arch over time may take some of that pain away. It does bother the back somewhat when arching hard, but that always tells me I'm doing it right. :) Take care.

"We deceive ourselves when we fancy that only weakness needs support. Strength needs it far more."

Thks!

In fact my ass was just 1 or 2 inches above the bench mostly because I was pushing hard on my toes.

But I'll stop "cheating" :)

I used to bench flat back untill i hurt my shoulder about 6 months ago. I never paid attention to bench techique or form.

When I started benching again not to long ago I read up on bench form/techique and now I make a tight arch(try to bring your shoulders back to your ass), then I sqweeze my shoulder blades togther and lock myself into that postion on the bench...

When I used to work out my shoulder always hurt until I really damaged it. Since I have been arching and locking into position my shoulders stopped hurting.

Its all about form/techique, I feel safe benching flat again. I also remind myself to stay tight and keep form when I do heavy dl's/squats, it will help prevent injury there to.

BadboyAl said:
When I started benching again not to long ago I read up on bench form/techique and now I make a tight arch(try to bring your shoulders back to your ass), then I sqweeze my shoulder blades togther and lock myself into that postion on the bench...

Is it what people mean by shoulders blades retracted and down ?

Anthrax said:
Is it what people mean by shoulders blades retracted and down ?

In a way, yes. You get a lot of power by using your lat muscles to bench. Pulling the shoulder blades together as you set yourself up to press allows you to use the back muscles for the push. You may see some PL's lift themselves off the bench by pulling on the bar above them during set up. They are pulling their shoulder blades together and setting themselves back down. You set your arch and shoulder blades together as you set your feet so as to "lock-in" to the position. That way you are set and can take a big breath before the lift off and keep tight for the press. Hope that helps. :) My meet is in two weeks, hope to do something good there.

Take care.

"We deceive ourselves when we fancy that only weakness needs support. Strength needs it far more."

I've been reviewing my technique lately also, so just to add to what was said, I think it helps to take a few warm-up reps trying to visualize your bench as a back exercise. This has helped me to "find the groove" where you're stabilizing and rowing the bar down using your lats. It's then easier to figure out what everything else should be doing. It's helped me, maybe it'll do the same for you.

Quadsweep's Sister said:
In a way, yes. You get a lot of power by using your lat muscles to bench. Pulling the shoulder blades together as you set yourself up to press allows you to use the back muscles for the push. You may see some PL's lift themselves off the bench by pulling on the bar above them during set up. They are pulling their shoulder blades together and setting themselves back down. You set your arch and shoulder blades together as you set your feet so as to "lock-in" to the position. That way you are set and can take a big breath before the lift off and keep tight for the press. Hope that helps. :) My meet is in two weeks, hope to do something good there.

Take care.

I pull the shoulders blades together and firmly on the bench but not "toward my butt"

Good luck for your meet!
and don't forget the photos :)

Anthrax said:
I pull the shoulders blades together and firmly on the bench but not "toward my butt"

Good luck for your meet!
and don't forget the photos :)

Haha...thanks for the well wishes. Those pics are the ones that make us girls look oh so sexy....as our faces contort to push that weight! :qt: Maybe I'll do another Figure competition next year and those pics may be better, LOL - j/k. I'll be sure to put up some pictures. Thanks again.

Anthrax said:
QUOTE]

Quadsweeper Sister -Good luck in your meet !!!

Anthrax, you do both, you pull your blades together, and while there together you arch your back bringing your shoulder blades down to your ass (this creates a very large arch in your back) The form should almost be uncomfortable. You should be very tight. Your feet should also be placed flat on the floor toes pointed outward slightly.

This tight position really helps prevent injury I believe, and mainly it brings your chest up closer to the bar alwaying you to lift more. (shortens range of motion).

There was a good article that explains bench press techique from Elitefitness, cant seem to find it....

Top Bottom