Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

box squats vs oly squats??

michaelm

any info on the comparison between the two would be helpful. I couldnt find the thread where bfold and coolcol discussed it.

I've been experimenting w/both. On box squats I feel it more in my glutes and hip flexors, oly squats give me a good feeling in my quads, hams and glutes.

they differ on from and function. The olympic squat is closer together and the knees are usually a little in front of the toes and the back is very straight, plus the bar is higher on the back. This to help at the top of a clean to squat down and pick it up. Because of the angle of the knee and back alot of quad and glute is used.

a box squat the trainee sit back in a wide stance where the knees do not cros the toe. The bar is much lower and the hands much wider. This angle really targets the erectors, periformis, glutes and hamstring. Powerlifter are hoisting max weight so they rely on the bigger and stronger muscles of the lower back, ass, trunk and hamstring.

Oly lifter rely on power and speed so they target the faster yet not as strong muscles of the quad and glutes

The "oly squat" is a deep squat, through the full range of motion. There are no rules governing stance, foot width or bar position. I dont exactly know what a proper box squat is, so I cant comment on that.

Depends on your goals.

If you are looking to do OL lifts and/or focus on the quads...you need to be doing OL squats!!!

If your goal is to have a big powerlifting squat, to build the deadlift, and build up the erectors...you need to be doing the Box Squat.

If you are like me...you do both.

B True

Top Bottom