Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Box squats vs crash bar squats

Thaibox

I was doing box squats the other day and a buddy of mine suggested I try to do them from the crash bars instead of planting on a box. The reason this is a concern for me is a couple crushed discs which make it stupid for me to be in that cage at all. Obviously, the bottom position of box squats could be pretty damn bad for two bad discs(L4/5), but using the crash bars as the launch pad would alleviate this threat right? What am I missing here? By this theory, I'll be doing the same lift, just safer for my back. On the other hand, does this transfer the stress off the target and back onto the legs turning into just a paused squat?

Mechanically, how does this sound?

Another option is a hassock or pillow squat. You put a hassock on some low boxes to reach the correct height, or put foam mats between short boxes, stacked one on top of another, to reach the right height. Adds a little give, without the compressive (poor form) or shearing (good form) force.

I like doing them off the crash bars against the back of the cage so it keeps me moving in a strait plane to keep more emphasis on my quads and the pressure off my lower back.

If you don't have an injury, you're better off just strengthening your back.

Ugh...can't imagine anyone healthy trying to makeshift a smith machine. They're bad enough with the intended design.

Greek Freak said:
I like doing them off the crash bars against the back of the cage so it keeps me moving in a strait plane to keep more emphasis on my quads and the pressure off my lower back.

No offense...but why destroy your knees in an attempt to take pressure off your lower back. Don't know about you...but smith machines kill my knees just to look at them.

Box squatting with proper form will take all the pressure off the patella tendon. And using the hassock, as was suggested, will eliminate much of the spinal compression.

Don't work around a weak link....make it strong.

I dont quite understand what you mean....are you sitting down on anything....or resting the bar on the bars in the racks?

if you aren't sitting down on anything then...its almost a totaly different exercise.
the effects on your bottom position will be different. the ability to let certain muscles relax or stay tense will be lost (which i guess is the essence of the box squat)

but resting the weight on the rack will develope good strength in the bottom portion of the lift....an i belive it is just as valid as a form of squating as box squating is.

PS what the hell are you doing box squating with bad discs

thaibox with some bad disk especially crushed ones I would not do box squats due to the compression on the bottom plus the movement of the spine on the box as your sacrum rotates forward. Try light weight supeslow squats and hack squats keep the stress of the back....

EPoint,
I dont quite understand what you mean....are you sitting down on anything....or resting the bar on the bars in the racks?
Not sitting down on anything, just using the bars in the cage.
if you aren't sitting down on anything then...its almost a totaly different exercise.
This is what I'm afraid of.
PS what the hell are you doing box squating with bad discs
Because I'm an idiot

Lord Suston,
This is why I don't go heavy. I stop at 315 doing conventional squats. But, I want to get my deadlift up to 600, and I'm thinking my weak point is helped by box squats.

The pillow idea is a good one, I'll try that. Thanks Spatts & H

CCJ,
I've noticed that

Top Bottom