Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Board presses and floor presses

harman_2005

1) How do you get in the starting position for a floor press? Do you have somebody hand you the weight after you lay down on the ground? Then they pick the weight up once your done?

2) How are floor and board presses different. It seems like since both work the top range of the bench, they would both emphasize triceps.

Thanks!

yep, spatts is right. except i actually feel that the floor press really hits the bottom of my bench pretty good, since it is more of a starting strenght exercise, but you do get the benefits of the strech reflex. i can do WAY more on boards than on floor press.

For the floor, I do them in the powerrack and just put the J-hooks low.

Depending on how long your arm is from elbow to hand, the floor press will work about the same as a 1, 2, or 3 board. If you have really long arms there, then yes, it's gonna hit a lot of tricep. I like the fact that you can't generate momentum to do it though. You can sink the boards, but a floor press is like a box squat (you have to move from a stand-still).

yes, floor presses will help a weakness off of your chest. it did for me. other things you can do is to "catch" the bar during speed sets for bench. catching the bar is simply stopping the bar about 2 inches from your chest and exploding back to lockout. other things are illegal wide benches, and good old dumbell presses.

spatts said:
For the floor, I do them in the powerrack and just put the J-hooks low.

Depending on how long your arm is from elbow to hand, the floor press will work about the same as a 1, 2, or 3 board. If you have really long arms there, then yes, it's gonna hit a lot of tricep. I like the fact that you can't generate momentum to do it though. You can sink the boards, but a floor press is like a box squat (you have to move from a stand-still).

Thanks! I can't give you karma though cause the thing says I've already given you karma, but still thanks for the info!

harman_2005 said:

Thanks! I can't give you karma though cause the thing says I've already given you karma, but still thanks for the info!

ill do you a favor, give me the karma you were trying to give to spatts, and ill make sure she gets it, ok?:D

yeah i do the floor press first in my cycle becuase im weakest off the chest. and spatts and liftbig are right......... its a hard exercise becuase of the box squat similarities. my shoulders take a serious beating with this.

X

just my opinion.

but when doing illegal wides, the goal is to work yourself in a grip wider than you would ever do incompetition becuase you have to have some finger touching the ring. so that would imply that these guys already bench as wide as legally possible. so they have to get illegal to go wider. so i just take whatever my widest grip is and move it out about 2-4 inches. so for me, its thumb touching the ring.

X

Top Bottom