Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Board Presses?

Grantsdu

Should I do different # of boards ever week or what? I'm not really feeling like I'm helping my tris any on 5 board. I have recently droped to 3 just to see if I can tell any difference. I must be doing something totally wrong cause I never even feel a pump in my tris. I can go super heavy to failure and not feel a thing. Its killing me, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have tried different grips, # of boards. Its getting to the point I'm going to leave them out and try to find something that I feel like is working.

just becuase you dont get a pump doesnt mean its not working. the way i guage if somethings is working or not is if my prs keep going up then its working.

Switching boards is fine, but I don't see the point of 5 and 6-board presses. For me, I'm locked out around 6-7 boards. I work in a 2-4 board range with them and do a lot of volume. The volume is what'll get you the pump you need. Check out the Metal Militia's site (www.metalmilitia.net) for more on sick volume.

As far as volume goes, how many sets should I be doing and at what weight? Just enough to get 2 or 3 reps or a little less weight and more reps? I had been doing 5 board but my sticking point is like 3 inches off my cheast so I have changed to 2 and 3 board presses 2 weeks ago. I can't tell if there helping yet or not. I know I get a little better pump on the fewer boards.

if you're gonna do boards, keep the reps in the 1-4 range. I'd recommend just doing heavy weight on them anyway, since they're just for overloading the top. For instance, monday I did:

(405 raw max)

Raw:
275x5
315x3
365x3
385x1

1 board:
405x1
415x1 barely missed

2 board: 405x3
425x2+
405x3setsx2-3 reps per set
365x5

so that's like 14 sets. some days I do 3 boards on chest day.

Today I hit the tris more, and I"m going for:

close grip, 2 boards:
315x5
365x3
375x2

regular grip, 3 boards:
365x3
405x3-4

4 boards:
425x3-4
435x2-3
445-455x1 (might be 5 boards)

back to three boards:
425x1-2
405x2 setsx2-3 reps
365x5

boards

the purpose of the high boards is to take over where the shirt really leaves off.

4 and 5 are both really good positions. i recommend if you do these with a shirt to keep you grip in a little so you are moving a little further then with just a competition grip.

in my opinion, shirted worth with 1, 2, and 3 boards is a waste. just do shirted work with your power band all the way down unless you do them raw.

Irish, I bench RAW so I am thinking the fewer boards will help me more. I have a huge problem transfering from chest to my tris. I come of my chest extremly well with high weights but I hit 2 or 3 inches up and I hit a brick wall. Its killing me because I can get the weight started, just can't finish anything.

I'm conducting a study with 3 females right now. Their workout includes board presses with a 3" board. It'll be about 2 months before a manuscript is written and handed over to be published, but I can tell you that each subject has already increased both upper strength strength and power over the last 5 weeks. Their workouts are very detailed, also include a day with Jump Stretch bands.

At Naz we do 6,5,&4's working up to failure in sets of 3. When we fail we drop the weight and the board height and work our way back up again. We very between index finger on the rings and competition grip depnding on the lifter and the day. ( this is after raw work triples or before or after shirt work).

If you want a pump in your tris do some pushdowns.

www.nazarethbarbell.com

www.metalmiltia.net

Top Bottom