Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

BJJ+Boxing or BJJ+Muay Thai?

WormAAA77

I've never trained in any of the self defense sports (for lack of a better word) and was wondering if a few of you could give me an idea of which to take.

I was thinking BJJ+Boxing which would prepare me for ground and hand to hand combat where as BJJ+Muay Thai would leave me vulnerable in hand to hand combat? Correct me if I'm wrong here, I really don't have much of a clue as to the disciplines and philosophies of any of them.

Basically what I'm asking is if you could take 2 sports, for lack of a better word once again, to prepare you for street fighting situations.

I'm sure most of you will say it depends on the instructors, etc. so if you could search around for me I live in the Phoenix area.

Thanks.

the boxing wouldnt teach you defense against kicks, or i wouldt think so

it also would teach you any kicks or knee's or even elbow strikes, or how to defend against any of these

muay thai would probably teach you punching, elbows, knees and kicks. and how to defend againt them. which would seem more practical to me IMHO

I was asking which combination would be best. I'm going to take 2 at the same time. Would you recommend taking BJJ+boxing or BJJ + muay thai?

None, I'll tell you why. You are lucky enough to live in the phoenix area(which is where I'll be moving in about a month). Have you ever heard of "King of the Cage"? Its huge there. There are many good NHB/MMA(no holds barred/mixed martial arts) dojos in that immediate area. If you find a good one, you will learn everything you need all at one place. You will learn to fight in every possible range.

i live in phoenix also..there are a thousand great schools and dojo's here..anything from nhb to boxing to thai boxing..if u want more details i can tell u of a few places that have good trainers..my info is limited because i just moved here..

thaibox-so ur moving to the area..rage in the cage is huge over here..i think they do a show about once every two months..crowds are great, probably around 7500 in attendence..and also from what ive heard the money for a main event fighter is decent also(in the 3k-4k range)..this isnt fact just what ive been told..good luck on ur move!

Thanks bro, I'm looking forward to going out there. Coming from California, I'm just not sure I'm ready for those ass burning summer temps.

If I had to pick it would be BJJ (no gi) and Muaythai. I feel muaythai has more wepons. You have shin kicks, elbows, knees, clinches and some sweeps. A good MMA school will get you prepaired for any range but I think being good in a base art is important. NHB Fighter Fabiano Iha (BJJ blackbelt) tod me he cross trains in wrestling and muaythai. He said you cant be 100% in every aspect of a fight but he'd like to get to atleast bluebelt level in wrestling and muaythai. I understand that wrestling and muaythai dosen't have a blue belt but he meant a useful understanding of those arts to compliment his BJJ.

boxing trainers will teach u to punch better then muy thai trainers. muy thai trainers will teach u to kick/elbow, which boxing trainers wont.(although they will eventually show u how to drag an elbow after a hook, lol). simple as that-theres pros and cons, benefits and burdens, good and bad. pick one

Tough question

When I first started I went for Thai Boxing, and Judo to make sure I covered the "Standing" part of grappling. Thats probably the most neglected thing I noticed about BJJ was the take down defense, and offense. Judo gave me a great background in takedowns, takedown defense, falling skills, and got me started on basic matwork. Thai boxing is great to start with for a good striking foundation, but I found that cross-training it with boxing shored up some of the "hands" skills thai boxing is missing. I cant really say to choose just two sports, even though thai boxing + bjj will put you at an advantage over 99% of all people you may encounter in the street. Personally I would focus on being a very well rounded fighter in all areas, truely become a student of fighting. Like Bruce Lee said, you should be taking things from these arts that works for you, and ditch the rest. I studied judo, but you'll never see me turtle up. I studied thai boxing, but you won't see me run into punches with an open stance (that often) You get the point. If possible, find a gym that trains for mma. Otherwise crosstrain in everything, and become very proficient in the basics. Good luck, and have fun dammit!

Hey Bro,
I think boxing, BJJ, wrestling and Thai are all great.
Get a basic move in each discipline that will be your bread & butter in a real fight. Then build on that move.
Get good at one takedown, get good at one punch set up, get good at one submission, get good at one take down defense, get good at the thai kick and a good knee.
Then work on moves for when someone counters those moves, then work on your own counters for those moves.

And have fun!!
find a group that wants to see the team get better, not just a group of tough individuals who keep their secrets.

Top Bottom