Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Thanks. The only bummer is that even the periodized/df program is fairly simple to setup but people aren't used to selecting weights or managing anything beyond exercise selection and you wind up with a lot of uncertainty and 1000 questions. So by the time you make a comprehensive piece, you wind up with 4 pages making it look like it's really hard or complicated. It's really a no brainer, but it seems people do better with more information rather than less. I might add a summary at the top or something.

Well that's irritating - apparently my Geocities site exceeded bandwidth limitation this morning. Considering it's all text and mostly links that must be a damn anemic limit. If I have to upgrade it, I'll be pissed. How dumb is that.

Yeah it came back up. The issue is that the entire multi-page interactive spreadsheet is around 115kb but cut/pasting just a part of it containing some hard coded numbers and formatting makes for a 350kb html document. So, this can take down the site real fast with enough views. I'll probably host the docs somewhere else so that even if people can't download the spreadsheets or files, they can still read all the info. For now though the template is down.

Madcow, I think I'm gonna order beyond Bodybuilding and maybe a few other books after check them out a little more. Any other books off any of the sites you recomend that have routines layed out that I can follow till i learn to set up a personailzed routine myself? Thanks.

Well most of the books that I would recommend are designed to teach people proper program design more than provide a cookie cutter to follow. I mean, a cookie cutter is shit - the only way it's going to be optimal is if you just happen to fit the profile at that point in time. Obviously nobody builds cookie cutters for more advanced people so as you progress cookie cutters are going to get worse and worse.

Good books to check out if you are so inclined:
Science and Practice of Strength Training
Super Training
Starting Strength
Practical Periodization (when it comes out - this will probably be the thing you are really looking for)
Managing the Training of Weightlifters
A System of Multi Year Training in Weightlifting
Fundmentals of Special Strength Training in Sport

madcow2, this is just out of pure curiosity. Suppose someone never consulted any sort of professional or any other weightlifter and simply bought a weight set and made up some horrible program with horrible volume, workload, intensity, and frequency and went on overtraining themselves for years showing little to no gains and, naturally, losses over time. Say someone introduced this person to proper training philosophy having to do with periodization, volume, compound lifts, etc. and they realized they've been doing everything wrong. If this person took 2 weeks off to get their body to recover from their horrible program and started up on an actually beneficial training program, would they show the same gains as they would have had they never had started their own horrible routine?

Basically, I'm just curious if someone could ever screw their body up so much through improper training that they become an ultra hard-gainer for their entire life or something.

Likely they'll at least sacrifice those nice neural gains that beginner trainers get that really serve to drive a ton of hypertrophy and adaptation. This is why starting with proper lifting is such a huge bonus and why it should be blatantly obvious that neural gains can and do translate to hypertrophy with standard non-100% neural training even in more advanced lifters.

As far as long term effects, not sure it's ever been studied. You can get some pretty bad stuff going on if you work hard enough at it but you'd really have to work. Heavy true overtraining is blatantly obvious - it's like saying "what if a guy just kept smashing his head with a concrete block". People are dumb but not that dumb and it would take a very motivated person to keep at it. The CNS is powerful though, it can even overcome idocy, his ability to do work and exert effort would be compromised further and further to allow for survival. Maybe that's sleeping 20 hours a day, who knows. This is why slave owners tended to treat their slaves decently even if only out of pure self interest, once capcity starts dropping it's more economic to feed and rest them then have a bunch of zombies out there in the fields. I guess a concentration camp is the other extreme although I have no familiarity with that. Who knows though, maybe if you do it long enough there can be permanent damage or inhibition or something. It's an interesting question.

Top Bottom