Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

siamesedream said:
Say I feel like I'd like to go back on the 5x5 again but I have an injured back that makes it impossible for me to do bent-over rowing movements and, especially, deadlifting. What would be the best sort of program for me to adapt. Also, I am in a caloric deficit right now and doing cardio so muscle gain is extremely hard if not impossible for me right now, but it seems I have the ability to gain strength still little by little by little.
Well, I'd be most worried about back and getting it healed first. Bottom line, if you are injured you do what you can. If a machine can help, use it - results will suffer but shit, you are injured so it's better than just laying there. Hopefully you can still squat - to be honest if your back is hurt badly maybe you shouldn't.

I don't know what to tell you. You work around stuff and don't push too hard. 1st priority is healing and that doesn't go well with a program that's really designed to push you past your limits.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

ok, so you say 2x/wk training during the deloading is more than likely better for most people

i will be incorporating that frequency at wk 5.
but for wks 6-9, would you recommend 3x/wk, or keep it at 2 or pehaps ramp it up to 3 after 2-3 wks at 2x/wk?

Last edited:
2x per week is a totally separate schedule. Just keep the weight constant for week 5, then increase week to week for a few weeks (generally 2-3). This serves more to deload properly. The 3x per week option is kind of a double barrell with 2 sets of PRs and you have to make sure you recover adequately in the middle. People new to this can't be guaranteed of pulling it off correctly (which can screwup your previous work) so the 2x option is a safer bet with lower workload and not an overbearing focus on record triple attempts back to back.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Madcow2 said:
2x per week is a totally separate schedule. Just keep the weight constant for week 5, then increase week to week for a few weeks (generally 2-3). This serves more to deload properly. The 3x per week option is kind of a double barrell with 2 sets of PRs and you have to make sure you recover adequately in the middle. People new to this can't be guaranteed of pulling it off correctly (which can screwup your previous work) so the 2x option is a safer bet with lower workload and not an overbearing focus on record triple attempts back to back.

ok
i think i will stay at 2x/wk for wks 5-9 (while moving weights up gradually), until i get a hang for things, maybe ill try 3x wk on second or third go-round
thanks for your answer

so 2x wk would be something youd reccomend for someone new to this training, for the deloading/intensity weeks ?

2x/wk only for weeks 7 or 8. You'll start to feel like you aren't going to the gym enough even though your strength will be climbing as you deload.

There'll come a point when either you can't keep bumping the weight and still attain all nine reps or you'll feel the urge to get back to week one and have the extra volume. It is possible to run hybrids but it'd probably be a mistake to do that on your first run.

blut wump said:
2x/wk only for weeks 7 or 8. You'll start to feel like you aren't going to the gym enough even though your strength will be climbing as you deload.

There'll come a point when either you can't keep bumping the weight and still attain all nine reps or you'll feel the urge to get back to week one and have the extra volume. It is possible to run hybrids but it'd probably be a mistake to do that on your first run.

ok, now im confused
so wks 1-4 volume phas, 3x/wk
wks - 5 deload - 2x/wk

now youre saying only wks 7 and 8 2x/wk
what about weeks 6 and 9 then ?
thansk for your previous repsonse

My first time through the 5X5 I did the 2X per week variation and felt as if I needed more....kind of like blut described above.

My 2nd time through I did the 3X variation and wished I had done it that way my first time through....I just had to make sure I was in tune with my body and ready to take an extra day of rest as needed.

rjl296 said:
ok, now im confused
so wks 1-4 volume phas, 3x/wk
wks - 5 deload - 2x/wk

now youre saying only wks 7 and 8 2x/wk
what about weeks 6 and 9 then ?
thansk for your previous repsonse
Sorry, I meant until week 7 or 8. The 2x per week version would typically be cut short at week 7 or 8 rather than going all the way out to week 9. You could even terminate it after week 6 if you felt like getting back into the volume phase a shade earlier but week 7 is a good target.

blut wump said:
Sorry, I meant until week 7 or 8. The 2x per week version would typically be cut short at week 7 or 8 rather than going all the way out to week 9. You could even terminate it after week 6 if you felt like getting back into the volume phase a shade earlier but week 7 is a good target.

ahh ok
thak
so its like 4:1:1-3 then

thanks orb

FYI:

I updated the periodized 5x5 Description on my geocities site, much better charts and graphs. I also included a sample layout. An excel file is in the works. The linear program will get the same treatment and I'll eventually throw something in there for beginners.

I'm going to update the description here as best I can and then the TOC on the first post within the week hopefully.

New Periodized 5x5:
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Periodized_5x5.htm
Sample Template: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Periodized_5x5_Template.htm

Site News/Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/index.htm
Updated Table of Contents: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_thread.htm

Top Bottom